Preserving traits from Mutt pond offspring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have some offspring guppies from my mutt pond which have traits i would like to reproduce . Is there a method for this ? Or is it impossible ?
And if possible can anyone tell me how to do ?

Put the ones with the traits you want to keep in a separate tank for breeding. You can also try to catch and sell the undesirable ones.

Agree. That is the simple way to look at breeding. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge relating to the intricacies of breeding for show quality Guppies. But if you just like the bodies of one kind and tails of another try them out and see what you get.

Take the offspring with desirable characteristics and mate them back to the - I think it is male offspring to mom. Or any with the desirable traits all together.

One thing to consider is that females can store the males sperm deposit for up to ~ 6 months, some comment even longer. So it may take awhile for you to get the ones you want if they were with males of not desirable traits.

If you want to learn about more indepth breeding, look up selectively breeding Guppies.

Or say you have a cool spade tail, you could do your search on how to reproduce that trait.

On some fish which do not have a trait when born, they may still have the gene for the trait.

Also look up Guppy cross breeding chart for ... and you may see what you want.

Out of curiosity what traits are you wanting to breed for?

I have 2 groups which I am waiting to see about. My Cobra Endlers mated with the Lyre tail Japanese Blue guppy. Now have 2 which look like a Cobra with a pale Blue Lyre tail. Hoping to see a few more in the next batch.

This is a thread which the topic would fit in, also includes Guppies. Though you might also start a thread about it and you are welcome to post a link there for the topic.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/talking-endlers-livebearers-371926.html

Back
Top Bottom