Prospective Turtle Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ssike57

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, my name is Steve and happy to be on board here. Basically I'm in the market for a Turtle, and I'm in this for the long haul. I have my tank, license, lighting/heating and filter.

The one thing that has done my head in the most has been deciding on a decent substrate. I started with gravel acting on bad advice from a pet store. They never told me turtles could eat it and cause blockage, so I switched to a bed of polished black river rocks (3inch each). I loved the look of it but after a week the rocks were really slimy and it was hard to use a gravel vacuum due to their size. Now I've got a bed of glass pebbles but once again have found out that its probably not a great idea as the pebbles could chip and also they could confuse and disorientate turtles and fish when I put them in.

The thing is I really like the color at the bottom, and sand seems to be very fiddly, but I want to do what is best for the turtles with minimal cleaning hassle necessary (that's why I like the glass pebbles so much)

If anyone can help give me some advice on this I think I can be well on my way to having a nice looking tank. Also, if anyone knows if river rocks need continuous cleaning I would love to know, as I'm not about to take out 10kg of rocks and clean with a brush every week.

Cheers, hope to get in touch with some experts soon :)

Attachments

• image-1058632503.jpg
    image-1058632503.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom