Pure amateur with a tank size prob!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lawman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guy's..

Very new to this site and first time post so here goes
Am wanting a marine tank, i have always wanted one
But mind boggles as to what size to get....never had marine before tropical yes ...tropical yes bout 15 years ago.. Now 31..Circumstances have changed since with family and all so be gentle lol:banghead:

The best thing you can do is look at what types of saltwater fish you want to keep.

This will determine what size tank you will need.

Saltwater is a different animal to tropical altogether.

Have you thought about fish yet or just that you want a saltwater tank?

Start by checking out some types of fish and how big a tank they need.

DO NOT TAKE ALL THE ADVICE A LOCAL FISH STORE WILL GIVE YOU. MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH YOURSELF.

Have a browse at types if fish and ask here for any extra info etc.

Jon

Cheers guys! Am more for the inquisitive types ...ones that will swim about with interest and not hide,lol, though my daughter(4) wants nemo lol soon as she spotted it in marine shop she went mental!! So can hardly leave nemo out hahaha but i know clown fish will limit my choices ..thanks again guys .....big cheers from Glasgow (scotland)

Lawman said:
Cheers guys! Am more for the inquisitive types ...ones that will swim about with interest and not hide,lol, though my daughter(4) wants nemo lol soon as she spotted it in marine shop she went mental!! So can hardly leave nemo out hahaha but i know clown fish will limit my choices ..thanks again guys .....big cheers from Glasgow (scotland)

No worries. From Wales Wrexham.

And yes clowns will limit your options.

I'm a tropical guy myself so I don't know a great deal about saltwater but research is the key.

Have you any idea if you want a reef, or a fowlr (fish only with live rock)

With saltwater you can get away without the need of a filter. The live rock becomes your filter system along with a protein skimmer to remove bio films etc.

Or you can run something like a canister filter with live rock in it.

Check out the saltwater forum here on AA and check out the stickies etc that have been written to help you out.

Good luck on your saltwater journey.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom