Red tail shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

04adele

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi im a new member and need some advise we have a red tail shark and it started jumping up out the tank. Luckily the lid is on. Is it normal for them to do this

Yes it's normal for them to do that, so the lid is a good idea. Fish will often try to leave the tank if the environment isn't to their liking as well. Is this a new tank? What size tank and what other fish do you have? How long has it been set up? Have you checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate lately?

Welcome to AA, by the way!

Welcome to the forum, its normal as already stated. I lost mine when it jumped out and I found it behind my tank :(

Welcome to the forum, its normal as already stated. I lost mine when it jumped out and I found it behind my tank :(

Same thing happened to me when I was a kid. Same shark jumped out a couple times before I got a lid - I was able to rescue him a couple times before he made the leap when I wasn't home and dried up in the carpet.

Welcome!

Yes it's normal for them to do that, so the lid is a good idea. Fish will often try to leave the tank if the environment isn't to their liking as well. Is this a new tank? What size tank and what other fish do you have? How long has it been set up? Have you checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate lately?

Welcome to AA, by the way!

It's a 90lt tank. Its a new tank. We have had it 2weeks. My husband went to pets at home they sold him 1 red tail shark 3 tetras and 3 barbs. I have been told these are the wrong starter fish.

It's a 90lt tank. Its a new tank. We have had it 2weeks. My husband went to pets at home they sold him 1 red tail shark 3 tetras and 3 barbs. I have been told these are the wrong starter fish.

Unfortunately yes. That's about 24 gals which is too small for a shark long-term. What kind of barbs? If they're tiger barbs they can be aggressive so would need a larger group and a 24 gal is a bit too cramped for that. Can you return the fish?

In the meantime, you may want to read up on cycling. If the tank is new there's likely toxins in the water that need to be fixed. These guides should help:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom