Remmick's return to tropical fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

remmick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just started two weeks ago. All the fish died the first day. I was astonished. I know it has been a long long time since I had fish tanks, but this was rediculous! Cleaned tank. Did all the right things and waited the correct period of time. New fish bought and placed into tank. Fish lasted a week and overnight the water turned brackish and one fish out of two were dead. Tried to save second but died next day.
Hmmmmmmm.

New tank. Brought in new fish. Water has remained clear. Now, I see ick. EEK!! Bought Mardel. Heater. Salt.

Had six guppies. Two died. Two have ick. Two do not appear to have ick.

Have 4 tetras. Three have ick. One does not appear to have ick, yet.

Been turning heat up slowly. At 82 this afternoon.

Will return tomorrow to continue this ick saga.

remmick

PS I use to raise guppies and other tropical fish back in the 1960s. So, I am aware not to overfeed, how to balance pH, protect against sudden temperature changes, etc. etc. . However, I was not aware of the carelessness of stores who sell fish and then simply think it's okay just to give you a fish free for the lost of the one lost.

Welcome (back) Remmick.
Sounds to me like it might be time to find a new store to get your fishies from!
I think I may have thrown in the towel if that happened to me. Luckily, you have had previous experience, and so realized it isn't always like that. I wouldn't of had a clue!

The saga of ick continues.

Lost another female guppie and a tetra.

The two kinda living tetras look worst then they did yesterday.

Temperature is up to 83.

And, I'm glad you asked. I've found a very nice aquarium store which deals just in fish. So many stores have closed I'm afraid so there's not a big choice anymore like there was.

Just bought two small black angels for a ten gal. tank I'm starting for my granddaughter.

Having dealt with this fishy hobby before, I am aware that tanks can go bad even though we've done everything right.

I welcome all advice since everything is new in fish products.

Thanks everyone for being interested.

remmick

By this morning I've lost three more fish. Some appear to look better while others look like they are just getting ick.

Meanwhile, I'm setting up my granddaughter tank for the two angel fish. This tank appears to be headed in the right direction because of everyone suggestions.

Thanks for the help and the welcomes.

remmick

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the misfortunes. Hopefully everything will be fixed so no more innocent fish will die. I know it has to be a pain to keep getting new fish.

One by one, my fish died in my first tank. It seems like there is something wrong with the tank itself. My second tank has not had any problems. The angel fish are find and growing. I introduced a few guppies a few days ago and they are still alive.

From the same guppie tank at the store, I chose four other guppies and placed them into my first tank. By noon the next day, they were dead. I can't see anything wrong with the dead fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. I've just lost four n ew fancy guppies. They lasted less than 24 hours. I'm giving up on the guppies. I've noticed they seem to have some difficulty swimming with their inflated tail fins. So, looking ahead I'll find other freshwater fish that are more hearty. Again, welcome and be patient. Don't give up. Things will work out.

Back
Top Bottom