Reptile Keeper, keeping freshwater fish as habitat enrichment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oxylepy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, so I decided a couple months ago I wanted to get a Mangrove Monitor. However, I'm really lazy. So where I can turn regular light effort chores into regular minor activities, I will do it.

Now my Mangrove Monitor is housed in 2 firmly connected 55 Gallon Sterilite Tubs. One side houses soil, rocks, branches and the heating lights. The other side is slightly larger and houses about a 6" deep aquarium, which drains into a 10 gallon sump with 4"pvc tubing to house polyfill, carbon, heating, and media. At the moment the aquarium has a few rosy reds in it (test fish, and even though they aren't good for food, they won't be too much of its diet if they are eaten).

Now I am considering the design of my adult enclosure for the monitor, if I find it is eating the fish it will end up getting a huge swimming area (90-140 gallons), as well as a number of pond snails and four different species of fish (Platies, Mollies, Guppies, and Swordtails). So I came to this forum to seek advice for the base of my adult enclosure (probably a 6'x3' aquarium that is 8-12" deep)

Welcome to the community. Would like to see pics of your monitor, and its final enclosure, when finished.

mLmKJ8.jpg

QV1c72.jpg

0BcufL.jpg

Of about 30 photos taken (this was a couple weeks ago), these 3 were the only passable ones. It moves very quickly and with its talon-like claws, if it decides to move, it will be moving, the only thing I have is switching hands, there isn't any stopping it and that makes photos difficult.

Edit: I decided to do another photo shoot today

2nu9bY.jpg

00w3Wu.jpg

cPikIX.jpg

26FtxR.jpg

And finally, this is my reward for a photo shoot, lol
WF0cUA.jpg

Ik I had one she was a pain

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, it's fine. I'd have gotten scratched up anyway because I have to keep handling it or it will never get used to me.

In total length 3-5ft. But it's extremely flexible and often keept its tail coiled up (although it is its propulsion in the water). It's body and head will be between 1' and and 2' long (compared to the current ~9")

Back
Top Bottom