Restarted 5 gallon, pH 8.4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimplyAnnie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm new and have a recently restarted 5 gallon tank that my college daughter had in her dorm room. It's been going about a week. The tank has a Biobag Whisper filter. I added three white cloud mountain minnows on Sunday 1/20/13.

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are 0. I know the cycle is in the beginning stages. However my pH is 8.4. I tested the well water that I filled the tank with and it's pH is 7.0. I had an airstone going in a decorative volcano in the tank. I have turned that off thinking that may be driving up the pH. I'll test again today.

~ Annie

Hi,

I'm new and have a recently restarted 5 gallon tank that my college daughter had in her dorm room. It's been going about a week. The tank has a Biobag Whisper filter. I added three white cloud mountain minnows on Sunday 1/20/13.

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are 0. I know the cycle is in the beginning stages. However my pH is 8.4. I tested the well water that I filled the tank with and it's pH is 7.0. I had an airstone going in a decorative volcano in the tank. I have turned that off thinking that may be driving up the pH. I'll test again today.

~ Annie

Welcome to AA! A steady ph is most important, most fish can adjust to ph :)

Welcome to the forum. As stated. Stability is key. Swings in pH over and over is what will harm your fish.

Back
Top Bottom