Returning aquarist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

state of mind

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I am new to this forum and I recently started a 20g semi-planted tank.

I used to have reef tanks years ago, but I sold off everything when I went to college. Now I'm pretty well established living wise and am back in the game, this time going freshwater.

Current plans/progress of my 20g high tank:

Today I set it up with flourite substrate covered by thin layer of gravel. Low lighting tank, one 15w flourescent.

Anchored a couple java ferns to a piece of driftwood, rooted some anacharis in the back. Eventually want some aponogetons and that's about it.

Doing a fishless cycle, threw in some frozen bloodworms and some betta flakes to get it started.

If I've done any of this wrong, advice is much appreciated. I want to eventually have a bristlenose pleco, a school of tetras (maybe 10-12?), and maybe 1-3 small or medium "centerpiece" fish.

Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a decent start. Try doubling your lighting for better effect. Growing plants would be easier while still keeping you in the low-light range. Your stock list looks good to me if you have adequate filtration. It might be a little heavy if you don't go for an oversized filter. Look for an AC30 or AC50.

Welcome to AA :wave:. Just remember to toss more food in every once in a while (every other day or so) to keep the cycle goin :)

Welcome to AA :wave:. Just remember to toss more food in every once in a while (every other day or so) to keep the cycle goin :)

Thanks, that was actually one of the things I was curious about. I dunno how quickly that stuff decomposes/how much ammonia it produces. I've already got a positive ammonia reading though so I think things are underway.

Back
Top Bottom