Returning Hobbyist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJenna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently returned to the hobby after rearing a family and having a career. So much has changed from the days of breeding cichlids, using only well water and never testing! It was a profitable hobby in the 80s. I'm sure it still is, but I opted for something smaller than 100 gallons and I'm trying my hand at a 40-breeder planted community tank. I also have a 125-gallon tank for a RES.

It's been up for about 5 months now after about double that time researching and choosing all the equipment, inhabitants, and plants. I've failed many times but learned from each of those times. I think the most valuable thing I had to relearn was don't chase values unless grossly out of norms. This has resulted in a reasonably stable tank. I define reasonably stable as fish and invertebrates thriving. Offspring galore...I've found endlers are eternal and may likely be the major fish in the tank. I have mystery snails that lay egg clutches reliably every two weeks and my only attempt at trying to hatch an egg clutch resulted in 50+ magenta snails. Bought my third tank to breed shrimp.

I'm still finding what works for me and plants tankwise and it's ever-evolving. I can't grow a sword to save my life but Madagascar Lace flourishes. Everything loves the buce plants (shrimp and pest snails) but they're hanging in there along with crypts, anubias, vals, and javas.

Fish wise I have Endlers, Gold WCM minnows, hillstream loaches, otocinclus, and panda and paleatus cories.

At this point, I don't think I'm ready to seriously breed any of the fish but if any survive I won't complain. Right now, the endlers are in the lead being live-bearers and I have some pretty cool-looking males. I love the shrimp, and have cycled a 10-gallon tank for breeding Jade Greens. I would like to breed Caridina Malawa but have not found a source for them in the US. I like their muted colors and would like to see if I can breed for a specific color.

Looking forward to learning more here!

Hi and welcome back to the hobby :)

A lot of pet shops no longer buy fish from customers, so if you do start breeding fish again, find a couple of shops to unload the surplus stock to. The big chain pet stores are the main issue saying they only buy form their suppliers because they don't want diseases in their tanks. That argument is flawed because if I buy all my fish form their shop, and the fish get sick, the disease came from their shop. However, they still refuse to accept that point and won't take fish from customers.

Back
Top Bottom