Returning to the hobby but not just yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sally pu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! My name is Sal and I must admit I have been lurking around this forum, attempting to gain some more knowledge before I completely return to this hobby.

Years ago I had many different set ups, from a 29 gal Oscar tank housing 2 very messy Oscars, to a wide range of community tanks which housed fish such as Angels, Kuhli loaches, Pictus Catfish (my absolute fav fish), an assortment of Tetras , Gouramis, Danios, Cory's, etc.

I recently aquired a 55gal tank for our living room for free (woohoo!) and plan to start a fishless cycle within the next few months. I also still have my 29gal which will accompany myself and gf in our bedroom, which will also get a fishless cycle soon.

We are looking for a new place to live and until that happens the tanks will not be started. However I am using the time to search this forum for information and gain much more knowledge and experience.

My plans for the 55gal is to be lightly planted, low-tech with a wide variety of fish...my fav catfish (Pictus aka Pimelodus Pictus) will be kept in here so I am going to need to know what can be kept with it. I would like to go with a sand substrate as I have never done it before.

My plans for the 29gal will also be a lightly planted, low-tech with an assortment of communtiy fish, mainly a school of Tetras, a Banjo Catfish, a group of about 4-5 Cory's, a group of about 6-8 Kuhli Loaches and possibly an Algae Eater or 2. For this tank the substrate will more than likely be a natural colored stone, such as river rock or something similar.

Any advice you have regarding these tanks will be greatly appreciated. Like I said it has been a while since I had a tank up and running and don't know what the best filtration systems are now-a-days so any help with that would be great. And as I said before I want to do all my research beforehand so the return to this hobby will be as smooth as when I first began it.

Welcome back, and good luck with your plan. I've heard Pool Filter Sand (PFS) is better than play sand because it's heavier and doesn't cloud when disturbed. Make sure you have plenty of filtration.

+1 for keeping the cories in a group.

Back
Top Bottom