Saltwater aquarium ignorant - help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjberg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a 55 gallon freshwater tank for my cichlids for many, many years and am pretty confident in my abilities to maintain a healthy freshwater tank. I just purchased a new 55 gallon tank on the weekend that I have started setting up for saltwater. I have live sand in it, enough instant ocean salt to have a salinity of 1.023. I have a GLO T5 HO dual light with marine bulbs and am cycling the water with a Fluval 305 cannister filter system. I plan on having both coral and fish in my tank. I am unsure as to the next step. My pet store has just started getting in saltwater supplies and fish, so they are learning as well. I have read that I will need a protein skimmer, but am unsure what they do and what is the best brand to buy. I don't even know what type of corals or fish I should buy after my tank has cycled. HELP!

Last edited:
Welcome to AA :) and as already stated if you open threads in more appropriate sections you'll get more responses. With a dual bulb t5 though you will be limited to mostly softies or nps. Try going to liveaquaria.com and browse their site for your stock list since they have pretty accurate information on requirements for all their livestock.

Back
Top Bottom