Saltwater Newbie here....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dagbeast

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks a lot for the welcome to this forum. The last time that I had a fish tank was about 20 years ago and it was a freshwater tank. A friend of mine offered me his old 90 gallon tank and I'm looking forward to starting a saltwater tank with live coral.

I've cleaned the tank (with appropriate cleaner and sponge) and I'm ready to get some freshwater circulating through it. I've read that this needs to be done first to make sure everything is operational before I start with the saltwater.

My initial questions are concerning the filter system. The tank came with two Rena Filster XP3 filters. I'm hoping that I can use these. The original owner used them on a freshwater tank. My first question is what I need to buy to fill the three chambers. I've pulled the old filters and tossed them. I've also noticed some white open cylindrical objects and some black star shaped objects. I'm not sure what these are for or if I can even re-use them or not. I would appreciate any advice and / or links for how to set up this filter system. I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the future, but this will get me started.

I also would like to know if I am correct in doing a freshwater test run first and if tapwater will work for it. I don't know if it can contaminate the tank for the future saltwater.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom