setting up a 10g, suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TylerRuth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!
I am new here. My friend just gave me his 10g he wasn't using and I want to set it up (fresh water) and am currently looking into different species. This will be my first tank so I'm pretty new at this. I am thinking I want a couple of chiclids. I know they are aggressive, so I wouldn't have anyone else in there besides them, and because its small, I'm thinking only 3. I want something with impressive colors but something that is also fairly hearty. Any suggestions?

Hello everyone!
I am new here. My friend just gave me his 10g he wasn't using and I want to set it up (fresh water) and am currently looking into different species. This will be my first tank so I'm pretty new at this. I am thinking I want a couple of chiclids. I know they are aggressive, so I wouldn't have anyone else in there besides them, and because its small, I'm thinking only 3. I want something with impressive colors but something that is also fairly hearty. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately that aquarium is way too small for chiclids. I would recommend neon tetras. They have a very pretty color. They school so you need at least five. Then you could have some guppies or swordtails.

Unfortunately that aquarium is way too small for chiclids. I would recommend neon tetras. They have a very pretty color. They school so you need at least five. Then you could have some guppies or swordtails.

Oh ok, thanks for the advice, that sounds like a great combo

I did as a child, that doesn't really count since my parents maintained it. I am a marine biology major, so I.am well versed on that sort of thing. I know a little bit about taking care of fish but not as much as I would like, so I will be doing my fair share of research on it. My tank wont be set up for a couple of weeks anyway, I need to get a filter and decide on my fish

I did as a child, that doesn't really count since my parents maintained it. I am a marine biology major, so I.am well versed on that sort of thing. I know a little bit about taking care of fish but not as much as I would like, so I will be doing my fair share of research on it. My tank wont be set up for a couple of weeks anyway, I need to get a filter and decide on my fish

Glad to hear it. If you do get live breeders like guppies or swordtails, keep in mind that you should have all males, or 2 or three females to one male.

Your welcome. Just be sure to let your tank run with no fish for a few weeks. To get the nitrogen cycle going. You can add a little fish food to help it start. It would be a good idea to get a test kit too.

When the nitrogen cycle is started you shouldn't have any ammonia in your tank.

Your welcome. Just be sure to let your tank run with no fish for a few weeks. To get the nitrogen cycle going. You can add a little fish food to help it start. It would be a good idea to get a test kit too.

When the nitrogen cycle is started you shouldn't have any ammonia in your tank.

Yeah, I was definitely planning on doing that. By the way, can you tell.me what KH is and will the test kit come with stuff to test that level?

Kh measures the amount of calcium in a tank and it will not come with a regular kit unless it states it gh and kh usually come together the gh rates the hardness of the water

Kh measures the amount of calcium in a tank and it will not come with a regular kit unless it states it gh and kh usually come together the gh rates the hardness of the water

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom