Setting up used 84 Gallon tank...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a used 84 gallon tank for $300. It has undergravel filters, two HOB filters, rocks, plastic plants, castles...etc.. Do I still need to cycle the tank or will the bacteria that is presently in the tank be enough to start? I know I will have to test for Nitrite, Nitrate and amonia. But if the levels are right can I assume that I can introduce fish or should I induce a cycle? Any help would be appreciated.

Unless the gravel and filters have been kept wet and aerated during the move you will most likely have to cycle again, although it may go quicker than starting from scratch. It's always safer to plan on a cycle than not. FWIW, I wouldn't keep the UG filter as they are more of a pain than they are worth.

It is a FW tank. Right now the tank has a couple inches of water with the gravel. Planned on moving it with the wet gravel tonight. Think I will do a cycle just to be safe. Should I make it cycle by adding ammonia or wont I have to?

Hi and Welcome!
You might want to post your question in the Freshwater-Getting Started forum. There are some members that don't check this one.

I would think that you would start the fishless cycle like usual just treating the gravel as a seed that will speed up the process (if there's anything left in it).

Back
Top Bottom