Shrimp or snail for algae control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asifur

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello guys,

I am new to this forum and this is my forst topic.its a bit funny but i find snails ugly and creepy since childhood and wanted to keep few shrimps instead.i just wanted to find out ,which shrimp would be better for algae control on my 15.8 gallon planted tank.its not heavily planted and didnt add any fish as it is cycling at the moment.

Hello guys,

I am new to this forum and this is my forst topic.its a bit funny but i find snails ugly and creepy since childhood and wanted to keep few shrimps instead.i just wanted to find out ,which shrimp would be better for algae control on my 15.8 gallon planted tank.its not heavily planted and didnt add any fish as it is cycling at the moment.

Japonica, Amano Shrimp. They are funny to watch and good cleaners. But for light algae, not for anything serious.

The Nerite snails just look like a seashell gliding along the glass and come in different shapes and colors, don't look to me much like regular snails. Just an additional option, they are tank glass cleaners especial when they are young.

Any hardy colorful shrimp which i can put into my tank during cycling...amano is too shabby for me...:(

Short answer is no, they will die from too much ammonia etc when cycling.

So no shrimp sorry, I thought you were thinking of after cycling. if you are getting algae try cutting back on light. If it is the brown kind it is diatoms.

As a side note there are now some Amano shrimp they are calling Blue and they have some color to them. I have only seen pics, my lfs doesn't have them atm.

Thank you so much for your reply @Autumnsky ,it was for my another tank,i wont kill any fish as i love them a lot,cycling my new 20 gallon tank so i thought if i am allowed to put any hardy fish.thanks for letting me know..

Back
Top Bottom