Shy parrot fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ottermus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know the parrot fish is known to be shy at first, we've had ours for a couple of months now and he only comes out at feeding time and when the lights are off. He bullies the other fish if anything so getting bullied is not an issue, he is in a none Planted 55 gallon, the tank has Plenty of hiding spots and is decorated with lots of fake plants and rocks. Amm = 0, nitrite = 0 and nitrate = 10. I was wondering if getting another parrot would help him to be a little more brave?

:welcome:

With just one BP, it is not unusual for them to remain shy for months and months. I have 3 and even then, one of them is more shy than the others.

BPs can be kept either in groups or alone. You'd need a larger tank for more than 2.

What other fish do you have in the tank and what decor does the BP have to hide in/around?

He is with 3 tiger barbs, 3 dwarf guarami (which he pushes about), 1 swordtail, an upside down catfish and a small pleco. There's a cave in there which he has claimed as his home and there's lots of fake plants, a piece of driftwood and some twisty fake branches for him to hide in.

He'll probably come around eventually. You might just have a super shy parrot. I can now hand feed mine. Sounds like your guy just needs to find his place in the tank.

Hope so, he is starting to come up to the glass a bit more when the lights are off, I'll see how he goes, he is still pretty new to the tank. Do you think I have room for a second one atm?

What are you planning for a final stocking for this tank?

You might try talking to him. Sounds silly but ours responded to kind of sing-songy words, like you would say to a really cute small dog. I would tell mine how handsome they are and how all the girl parrots must just go crazy when they see them cruising the tank. And it worked. And now I hand feed them and they follow me everywhere, like little dogs. :lol:

I'm not really sure what my stocking plans are ATM, just happy to be looking at different species until I find something that takes my fancy that will be compatible. I really like my tiger barbs and I do think another parrot would be nice.
I've heard lots of people saying they have amazing personalities though, I'm sure mine will develop, even if it does take time.

They really are amazing. You absolutely have to name this fish because it will be like having a puppy in a fish tank. They are really responsive and hilarious.

I asked about your final stocking as I see that your barbs are in a really tiny school. Typically, you want 8-10 barbs to ease their aggression. Whatever species you choose, be sure to keep it in the proper school size.

Yes I'm sure I can come up with a name for the lie guy! I've been looking at the tank tonight and the lights are off, he's pretty much out all the time! I can go right up RO the glass and he's not even fleeing away like he normally does!
I will definately look into upping the number of barbs too, they seem ok just squabbling amongst themselves but I had read they needed to be in a bigger school.

Back
Top Bottom