Sinking Gourami!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cem

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I've just joined this site as I would like some helpful tips for my sinking Powder Blue Gourami.
Was purchased just over a week ago, swimming, eating etc perfectly fine to begin with, although was harrassed by my Honey Red Gourami. I noticed in the last day it's been laying on the bottom of the tank. We removed (Monday night) from the others as we thought it was taking its last breathes!! A night had past and still the Gourami was alive so then I was concerned about the water temperature (as we don't have a seperate tank) it was kept in a bowl with some of the tank water. It had a frantic swim round the bowl about midday today (Tuesday). I put some food in (some had gone) still not moving much unless there was movement of the bowl, managed to poo. I decided to put it back in the tank (not sure this was the right thing to do) as the temperature thing had been bothering me. The blue colour is still bright, once in the tank had a bit of a swim but has just gone to the bottom again. Any ideas greatly welcomed. (sorry for woffling on!) :confused:

I hope he's still doing ok. We need some more info from you.
What size is the tank, what other fish are in it.
Do you have a test kit to measure ph, ammonia, nitrite & nitrate?
What is the temperature?
Meanwhile you might try a partial water change, matching temperature & using a dechlorinator like Prime.

Thanks for the replies

It's a 48L tank with x4 guppy's, x2 swordtails, x2 dalmation molly's, x1 blue ram, x2 peppered corydoras, x2 otocinclus and x2 amano shrimps. I haven't got a pH measure kit etc, (could do to buy). I've checked the temp - 23C/67F. Will try the water change tomorrow and add dechlorinator. Will also check out link about tank cycling.

Thanks Slade & HN1 (y)

aaronjohn20 said:
Ur water temp is too low for one. Others will chime in

Agreed. You really want to stay in the 72-82 degrees Fahrenheit range. Especially for the Ram, who, I can attest, are very very fragile.

I believe a 48L tank is equal to 12.5 us gallons? If that's the case you are severely over stocked. Do as was mentioned above and change some water and please consider rehoming some of your fish.

Back
Top Bottom