So I got this fish, right.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natrlmstk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I (my 7yr old did, actually) got a goldfish from my sister in law two weeks ago for his birthday. He named it Goldie. Cute right? What wasn't cute was the bowl, stupid little pineapple under the sea and a miserable looking little plastic plant. We had a couple near death experiences in the bowl the first couple of days. I am not a person that can receive a living thing and just allow it to die and be done with it, so I started reading, and reading, and reading. Ive never owned a fish in my life.(I'm actually quite surprised someone saw it fit that I be responsible for a human being) Mostly because I watched my sister flush several down the toilet as a child and the whole idea of a disposable pet seemed kinda dumb. In a panic went to the pet store bought and MOST of the necessary startup equipment and went to work. I'm still reading and researching and trying to fix the things I do wrong as I go without killing this poor animal (it's only been about 12 days) which lead me to this site. And a sudden realization that unbeknownst to me me I am now a "fish person". Pretty sure it's an oranda but can't really tell the difference between a couple of the breeds but as I read I learn a little more every time. I HAD NO IDEA what cool little fish these guys are, and am hoping that I can get him/her through these first crucial weeks without Goldie winding belly up when I get home from work. All off this, long story short is how I wound up here. I've read lots of threads on lots of forums looking for situations similar to mine and found that most had identical tales but I've found some of the most helpful and supportive threads in this group. So now here I am, with two firsts in my life first time fish owner and now forum member.

Welcome to the forum!

Pretty much everyone here has great information, so dont be afraid to ask if you problems.

The only potential problem that i could see is that ammonia might build up becuase the tank wouldn't be cycled.

Exactly why I joined. I had no idea about cycling but read ecrvery long and informative thread that made me very hopeful that everything will turn ok with aggressive water changes and testing. So I'm monitoring the fish closely and have a plan in place. So far so good but it's only been a few hours and the fish seems to be adjusting fairly well.

Last edited:
Thats great news, and yes large water changes will combat the amonia levels, just curious what is the size of the tank? Also i'd love to see the goldfish

It's a twenty gallon basic petstore starter tank. I don't plan on putting any more fish in with him/her but I do plan down the road to just get a bigger tank and start it the right way. I'll be posting progress pics if everything goes well ����

Hope so. Think I still have a little ways to go before it's happy but I'm hoping I'm on the right track.

Attachments

• IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 101
Welcome to the club! It's great to see the occasional responsible pet owner come into the hobby because of goldfish :)

Lots of people unintentionally end up with fish.

Mini rant about how fish and animals should not be surprise presents to children/people/families. :banghead: NO, NO, NO!!! Especially a surprise!

Lucky for you it is a likely an Oranda and not a Comet (usually as a prize, from a carnival) and gets 12-18" long.

Last edited:
Oops bumped the send button a little early...

Here are a couple articles
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Important Information for Those New to the Aquarium Hobby - Aquarium Advice

This section will become your friend...
Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

This is great to see
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

And the thread about getting started in my signature line below.

You might want to get a product called Prime, it can quite literally be a life saver.

Seachem - Prime

Also it seems that for a small chunk of change this will be a help
Welcome to API Fishcare: QUICK START®
http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/FINAL_QUICK_START_Science_Sheet.pdf

OR
a hobbyist friend nearby with cycled media to share
OR
these sponge filters are already filled with BB
Biologically Active Sponge Filters for Aquarium

Sound like a good tank size for just 1 gold fish, but good that you are not looking at putting anymore in just yet as could cause problems.
Goldfish produce a lot of waste.

However I think now all you gotta do is read up on the fish in cycle. And some of the links posted above seem pretty helpful as to how to look after him during the cycle stage of the tank!

Lucky for you it is a likely an Oranda and not a Comet (usually as a prize, from a carnival) and gets 12-18" long.[/QUOTE]

Ha! Funny you should mention this! My kids won (what I'm guessing is) a Comet. It was a teeny tiny little thing. Luckily I have a 50 gallon with large angels that are fairly protective of their fins...but that dumb thing (his name is Animal) is at least 5" at this point. But, just like OP, I couldn't let it die in that tiny cricket carrier it came in, even though he's a huge PITA for my tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom