So.....Intro? (please read!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaeroo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys what's up!

Let me just give you a brief background of my experience with the fish world. I got interested in it when I was about 12 or so (I'm 15 now :dance:). My dream was to get a 20g long at first but I just wasn't money bags. (And yeah I have to buy everything I own 'cause mama raised this kid right (y)) I also thought it would be harder to handle AND I didn't know if it was an "I want a pony" phase type of thing so I didn't want to go all out on it if I wouldn't be interested like a week or so later. So I ended up getting a ten gallon. Can't remember what I got for it as far as fish went but I had plastic plants and other plastic crap that I eventually didn't like, so I wanted to try live plants. Being the naive little 12 year old I was I did no research at all, bought some really expensive and fancy "snail-free" plants at PetSmart, shoved them in the gravel I had and expected them to grow :banghead:. They didn't. They melted completely. I brushed it off and was like 'eh I guess it wasn't meant to be' and moved on with life. A little while later my fish were dying one by one with ick or something and I totally gave up on it all because I was spending so much money on things that always died a short while later. BUT that's history now. (So much for the brief background but..... :thanks:)
Since then I've moved and have just started to get back into the hobby. I really want to do it right this time and hopefully have a beautiful tank with a healthy community of fishies! The tap water I have now is apparently a lot better since the pH is easier to maintain. Okay the setup I have is still a ten gallon. I have flourite substrate and plants that are surprisingly doing well. some driftwood, an Aqueon penguin 100 filter thing and some typa heater that works fine and a light with a 15 watt bulb. (Don't hate I'm too lazy to look up the real names of these things.) ANYWAY. It's been set up for maybe a week and a halfish? And everything looks good so far. I have 1 Kuhli loach and holy crap those things have puppy faces I swear it's the cutest thing ever. (It's okay I plan to get more so hold your britches :lol:)
Okay exciting news: I got a 20g long!! It was only $20 so I had to get it. I haven't set it up and don't want to until the plants I have get a little hardier and I have everything else I need to set it up all at once. (P.S. I'm retiring my 10g and maybe selling it.) I want to record myself setting it all up and then speed it up and maybe post it to youtube :D.
I also have an aqueon evolve 4 from way back when I also gave up on, but I want to restart with it. I swear it's a 4 and not a 2 because I remember settling on the in-between tank (2, 4, 8). Didn't want it too big nor too small, ya know? Anyway I took an empty gallon milk jug and filled it up to see how many gallons it really was. It ended up full at around 2.9 gallons!! not even 3?! I was jipped I believe. Anyway, that tank will probs be for a beta or a couple shrimp or something. I'm going to make it sort of a "test tank" and just want to play around with it and try new things so I'm open to any suggestions! (y) I would like it to be a dirted tank though (and plants obviously). As far as the aquascaping goes I have no idea what to do for either of my tanks so um please help lol.
Also, bear with me here I know it's been long and boring, All the 20g stands I've seen are only like 28" tall? Is this an average height? I feel like I'd have to bend down just to look at the tank. I would like something a little taller and a reasonable price if anyone could help me out with that. My mom suggested getting a tv stand because they're taller? I would like cabinets with the stand too.
Lastly, I just want to congratulate you for actually reading this far and I would totally give you a medal or something if I could so thank you. I'm uber excited to set my new tanks up and If you love answering questions I'll probably ask a ton of them!

P.S. I'm wondering, what light would you suggest for a 20g long planted tank? (high tech)

Thanks so much for reading! :D

Hey guys what's up!

Let me just give you a brief background of my experience with the fish world. I got interested in it when I was about 12 or so (I'm 15 now :dance:). My dream was to get a 20g long at first but I just wasn't money bags. (And yeah I have to buy everything I own 'cause mama raised this kid right (y)) I also thought it would be harder to handle AND I didn't know if it was an "I want a pony" phase type of thing so I didn't want to go all out on it if I wouldn't be interested like a week or so later. So I ended up getting a ten gallon. Can't remember what I got for it as far as fish went but I had plastic plants and other plastic crap that I eventually didn't like, so I wanted to try live plants. Being the naive little 12 year old I was I did no research at all, bought some really expensive and fancy "snail-free" plants at PetSmart, shoved them in the gravel I had and expected them to grow :banghead:. They didn't. They melted completely. I brushed it off and was like 'eh I guess it wasn't meant to be' and moved on with life. A little while later my fish were dying one by one with ick or something and I totally gave up on it all because I was spending so much money on things that always died a short while later. BUT that's history now. (So much for the brief background but..... :thanks:)
Since then I've moved and have just started to get back into the hobby. I really want to do it right this time and hopefully have a beautiful tank with a healthy community of fishies! The tap water I have now is apparently a lot better since the pH is easier to maintain. Okay the setup I have is still a ten gallon. I have flourite substrate and plants that are surprisingly doing well. some driftwood, an Aqueon penguin 100 filter thing and some typa heater that works fine and a light with a 15 watt bulb. (Don't hate I'm too lazy to look up the real names of these things.) ANYWAY. It's been set up for maybe a week and a halfish? And everything looks good so far. I have 1 Kuhli loach and holy crap those things have puppy faces I swear it's the cutest thing ever. (It's okay I plan to get more so hold your britches :lol:)
Okay exciting news: I got a 20g long!! It was only $20 so I had to get it. I haven't set it up and don't want to until the plants I have get a little hardier and I have everything else I need to set it up all at once. (P.S. I'm retiring my 10g and maybe selling it.) I want to record myself setting it all up and then speed it up and maybe post it to youtube :D.
I also have an aqueon evolve 4 from way back when I also gave up on, but I want to restart with it. I swear it's a 4 and not a 2 because I remember settling on the in-between tank (2, 4, 8). Didn't want it too big nor too small, ya know? Anyway I took an empty gallon milk jug and filled it up to see how many gallons it really was. It ended up full at around 2.9 gallons!! not even 3?! I was jipped I believe. Anyway, that tank will probs be for a beta or a couple shrimp or something. I'm going to make it sort of a "test tank" and just want to play around with it and try new things so I'm open to any suggestions! (y) I would like it to be a dirted tank though (and plants obviously). As far as the aquascaping goes I have no idea what to do for either of my tanks so um please help lol.
Also, bear with me here I know it's been long and boring, All the 20g stands I've seen are only like 28" tall? Is this an average height? I feel like I'd have to bend down just to look at the tank. I would like something a little taller and a reasonable price if anyone could help me out with that. My mom suggested getting a tv stand because they're taller? I would like cabinets with the stand too.
Lastly, I just want to congratulate you for actually reading this far and I would totally give you a medal or something if I could so thank you. I'm uber excited to set my new tanks up and If you love answering questions I'll probably ask a ton of them!

P.S. I'm wondering, what light would you suggest for a 20g long planted tank? (high tech)

Thanks so much for reading! :D

Hey, Im 16 as well and I understand the financial part! :lol: For High tech lighting in a 20 long I would say a finnex planted + would be fine but I would start out low-tech and build up from there. A high tech tank can be an algae factory without proper knowledge. I recently went all out and have got a nice high tech 55 going now but thats just because of the experience I gained when I was still low-tech. Well anyway, welcome to the forum and ill probably see your questions around and be there to answer them. (y)

Welcome to the forum!

I would keep the 10 gallon as a quarantine tank. It can help prevent alot of diseases.

I can't help much with the light, but I know the high techies on here use Finnex Planted Plus, other LED lights, or quad T5HO fluorescents.

Hopefully one of them will chime in amd be kore of a help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome to the forum!

I would keep the 10 gallon as a quarantine tank. It can help prevent alot of diseases.

I can't help much with the light, but I know the high techies on here use Finnex Planted Plus, other LED lights, or quad T5HO fluorescents.

Hopefully one of them will chime in amd be kore of a help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I use a BML and run it at like 60%. The planted plus is cheaper and will work while either the BML or the ecoexotic-e series are the best on the market right now. While their prices do show that I have found my BML worth every penny in terms of light quality and par output.

Back
Top Bottom