Something might be wrong with my betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta help

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my betta for around 1 year lately she has been less active and laying on the bottom of her tank. Today I noticed somthing on her fins, I was woundering if anyone knows what might be wrong with her?

Can you upload a picture? It might be a parasite but it is impossible to tell without a picture or a really accurate description.

https:/
wde1E9oe2p9cjkoc6
that should bring to you a photo of her. I was looking at her fins and I think she might have fun rot, I'm starting to do water changes and I'm getting antibiotics for her

It's ok I get the replies in my email. Yes it looks like fin rot. I'm concerned about her weight as well. Try fasting her for one day a week and feeding less food as well. This will cut down on waste in the water and help with the weight. Is she in a tank or a bowl?

Ok, she is in a 5 gallon tank i have recently started feeding her only 1 pellet a day every other day should i feed her even less?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the tank temp?

In the case of fin rot I would do 3 -5 30% pwc in the next day or 2. The idea is to get as much of the old bad water out but gradually as to make the changes less stressful. To make the water she sits in as good as possible.

When they start feeling bad they might sit at the bottom and that is where the bad stuff accumulates so getting fin rot is not uncommon.

If there is a filter make sure it is running well enough to get some flow to help circulation. Not too too much but enough to move some.

Try getting her a Betta leaf or log to rest in. If you get a log feel inside to make sure there aren't any rough or snag like places in there. It would be placed near the top.
Or some hardy stem plants which can float at the top to give a place to rest in them. Alternatives for just laying at the bottom.

I have a lazy Betta and is often sitting around at the bottom sleeping under leaves from the dried plants used for tannins. (Indian Almond Leaves and Guava and Banana leaves) I already had to treat this fish as it was imported and very ill, so I am always worried about him.

After the water changes add in 1 tablespoon PER GALLON of Epsom Salt (plain no additives) to a cup or two of very hot water. ES is not really salt but magnesium sulfate and useful for bloating, constipation and over all better health. People use it for soaking injured/sprained muscles usually and for constipation.

Plus
1/4 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon / or natural, Kosher, sea salt no additives NO IODINE.

Both are pretty cheap at the Grocery store. Make sure no additives oils anticaking agent.

After every thing is dissolved 98-100% type dissolved.

Mix in cold water until it is tank temp.

ADD DECHLORINATOR when it isn't hot.

Then add in a fifth to a quarter of the mixture every 8 -12 hours, again the idea is to gradually change the water conditions.

If the fish looks like it is about to die you can add it in much more quickly every 1-2 hours) if it is like an emergency then adding it would be more beneficial than not and if the fish is on deaths doorstep you haven't much to loose. I have never had a fish even seem shocked about this treatment, emergency version or slower adding it in.

I have used this method many times and have had very good outcomes.

If feeding the inside of the circle pea and the fish isn't too interested remove the food after a couple hours. And net time try again with a squeeze of garlic clove juice on the pea. Try again. Repeat until the fish seems to eat it. Kinda like fasting but peas only diet. Hopefully after a couple bites it might help get the intestines moving.

If you are getting some medication, make sure to try this for a day and see if the Betta gets more active if it seems better, and improving you can continue that Epsom salts and aquarium salt treatment if you are happy with the improvement - for a week or 10 days without medication.

If the fish is not improving then medication may be needed.

Hoping for the best!

If there is mucky

The fish looks bloated and also recommend the old try feeding cooked peas.

Thank you for the help i am starting to do water changes and i will check to see if we have epson salts and we should have aquarium salt. Would bettafix work or would the salts be better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bettafix is with Melaleuca.

Melaleuca can be a bit irritating depending upon the amount in the mixture in general but also is a good healer. Labyrinth fish can get some issues with the "lung", so say some people. I am not sure there. If you use it I would it at the minimal dosage.

Try the Epsom and salt and peas and making sure the water flow is moving somewhat and see how it is the first day.

I used Kanaplex on my stubborn case from my imported fish which almost died. I am thinking that if I treated 25 Bettas from fin rot only 2 ever needed meds. Clean water some salt and Epsom salts have done the trick.

It could be the bloated part caused the sitting low and that caused the fin issues.

Back
Top Bottom