Starting out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Necara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone.

My husband I am recently set up our new freshwater 55g tank as a centerpiece in our living room.
I really wanted to do a saltwater aquarium, but after some research I decided to spend some time with freshwater before jumping that far ahead.

On the advice of the local aquarium store we set up a soil substrate (3 inches of soil then a very light gravel on top)

I have a few plants in there now, a Java fern, Java miss, aponogeton, anacharis, Vesuvius and a couple banana plants.
(I think I am going to toss the Java moss as it's breaking up all over my tank, and already is affecting my filter)

We got some media from the store and also added some feeder guppies after a few days to help cycle the tank.

We are testing the water regularly and doing daily 10% water changes.

The tank is at 78 degrees and seems to be doing really well, if a little cloudy still

I am torn between adding blue acaras and angels or adding discus once my tank is fully cycled

I appreciate any and all advice. I've been reading for weeks and would love to be able to discuss this stuff with people to see if I am on the right track

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Welcome!
Before tossing the moss it may be worth seeing if someone on here or your LFS would want to buy, trade, or take it for free.
If not, make sure you throw it away as opposed to putting it down the drain or tossing it outside :)
I look forward to seeing more posts!

That's a great idea, I am sure they would take it back at the LFS..... I thought it would work great on the diftwood, but it just seems to be breaking off and attaching to everything else in my tank...... In 48 hours there are little bits of it everywhere, the only reason I haven't taken it out yet is that it will be a several hour process I think to pick it all out. Not the best move I've made!

Lol!
I've had that happen too. I put it in a floating breeder box to get more light and form a more cohesive bunch since it was all falling apart.
Rather than picking, wait until you do a water change and try to siphon it out, I found that much easier!

Breeder box...... Hmm, I may try that out.... It isn't the healthiest looking plant, so maybe it just needs some tender care lol

Thanks!

Welcome !!! Plenty of folks here to help you thru your journey. There's lots of info available anywhere but I'd recommend stopping back here to ask around before making any decisions on some purchases. Many folks look at the LFS as the "not so good" advisor, since most are sales based, and knowledge poor.

Holding off on Discus might be a good idea for a bit while you research them in depth. There not hard to care for but very demanding and can be a headache and money pit to those with little or no experience.

Live Aquaria (LA) and AqAdvisor are two sources that most use for stocking and referral guidance, and could be your best friend. (Besides is here, lol).

Good luck with everything and ask away !!!!!

Yeah, I have been taking care to research what they've told me, but so far they've been very helpful, and I've met some of their regulars over the last couple weeks that have spoken highly of them..... Most importantly they have very healthy fish that are well kept. I'm lucky to have them close by.

The main appeal to the discus is that my grandmother kept them when u was a child, so they bring back very fond memories. However I am thinking they might end up in another aquarium in the future.

:)

Back
Top Bottom