Starting out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MotherHubbard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So after about 10 years we decided to get back into salt water. The last tank was a 90 gallon that we really didn't put much care into. A few months ago I came across a complete 250 gallon setup - including fish for $400. We priced out pieces to about $16,500ish. All that said we really want to do it right this time. It has been almost 3 months and we can't control the phosphate and nitrates. We have done 40 gallon water changes every week.

Welcome to the community and we have some great keepers here to help.

Have you considered Phosguard and Chemi-pure ("Multi-purpose chemical filter media removes dissolved organics and other harmful compounds) " type additions.

Also what are you feeding and what type of stocking?

I am pretty new still with SW and most of my experience is with small tanks. Others will be able to recommend things and maybe a piece of equipment to help.

Last edited:
I am sure I will forget a fish or two but we have two Mandarin Gobbies, big nose unicorn tang, a smaller tang we are trying to figure out what it is, a tomato clown, a small clown, snowflake eel, 2 soap groupers, panther grouper (but he isn't doing so well - wasn't when we got him either), emerald crabs, hermit crabs, and we just added a yellow blotch rabbit. I think that is all of them. we feed mostly brine shrimp with some pellets. We have been doing 40 gallon water changes every week. We are now getting that nasty hair allege

Back
Top Bottom