Starting out in NE PA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlvr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I’ve been reading various threads over the past few weeks and just registered. Thank for all the good info. Started a 40 gallon in November using Stbilize and Prime. Added 2 parrots and a couple angels. Lost one Angel. Didn’t wait long enough for the tank to cycle and went on pet store advice. Now the fish are doing ok but I’m still cycling. Ammonia went down and Nitrite went up. Wondering if I should keep adding stabilize to help build the necessary bacteria. Any tips?
Reading through all the start up threads. Very helpful. Thanks!

Going to start a 90 gallon half moon I just bought used. Will be more careful cycling. This new to me tank has a top part that I think won’t allow HOB filter. Any suggestions for filtration? Not sure how to add an image but the tank looks like this one on EBay. Thanks!

Water changes will be more beneficial to you than adding anything.

Your target should be to keep ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm. Test everyday. If it goes above 0.5ppm combined do 25% water change, if above 1ppm do 50% changes until it is below 0.5ppm combined. When you are consistently seeing 0ppm ammonia and nitrite your nitrates should be rising and you will be cycled for your current stocking. Then you can cut back on your water changes.

If you are having problems with nitrites, it could be the Stability. Ive never used that particular product, but often heard it described as "nitrite in a bottle" and it might not be helping as you would hope it does.

If you are looking to do a 90 gallon i would recommend a cannister filter. We was discussing cannister recommendations a few days ago, might be worth looking up the thread.

Edit: Link to thread added.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375386

External filter

Back
Top Bottom