Starting to get serious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intdes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I have had a FOWLR tank for about three years now. I have a 29 gallon tank that I converted from freshwater. Currently I have a snowflake eel, he was the size of a pencil when I first got him about a year ago. He's now about 14" long and the diameter of a penny. I also have a brittle star that we got around the same time. The brittle star was badly injured when we got him, he was about 3" in diameter. He is now the size of a dinner plate. I also have an urchin and my CUC.

I got into saltwater through my previous neighbor. I bartered some dog/kennel equipment for some live rock and sand. I have been hooked since!

I am here because I am rebuilding my tank. We moved from Arkansas to Wisconsin about 14 months ago. We moved the tank with us, with Rubbermaid totes full of live rock, sand and water. I set it up temporarily in the apartment we were in for a year and we just moved into our new house last month. During our time in the apartment I got crazy hair algae so I put most of the rock in a Rubbermaid container with a powerhead but had to keep one rock in the tank as the eel lived in it (back when he was small and could get into it). The rock is now clear of algae, but the sand became thick with it (thicker than my yard...).

I cleared out the tank the other night, the livestock are all in a temporary bucket. I took all the sand out and then put all the rock and fresh saltwater from in the tank. I have a fluval 206 and from what I have read here so far believe it might be my problem. I bought the fluval about 9 months ago, before I had a hang on back filter. I like NOT having the filter seen but not at the price of continuous algae issues.

I also have plans on going to a larger tank. I haven't decided on the size, but would love to have more fish as the eel only comes out when hungry. I would like to keep him in the 29g and get into corals with the larger tank and a sump. I will post pictures when I can, not much to see right now...

Back
Top Bottom