Struggling with first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AA1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I've have had my aquarium for over a year now, but I still seem manage to kill off a fish every few weeks. I know in the beginning I was too naive about everything, but now I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I had a good streak over the summer where all was well for about 3 months, but I've had two deaths (platys) in the last couple of weeks. One hadn't been eating and had been hiding for a while, but with no obvious external problems. The other had one white spot on it's tail yesterday and was dead this morning.

I do a 20% water change once a week and the parameters always seem ok. Ammonia nil, nitrite nil & nitrate 25mg. I feed my fish every other day.

My tank's only 30L which I have discovered in hindsight is somewhat small (small seemed good to an ignorant beginner). It contains 7 neon tetras, 1 ember tetra, 1 platy, 4 guppies and 3 snails.

I'm at the stage where I'm either going to stop buying replacement fish or consider gambling on a bigger tank, but I don't want to find that I'm still doing something wrong and it has nothing to do with tank size.

Does anyone have some good advice for me? Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Can you tell us your entire maintenance routine? It's either that or maybe internal parasites maybe....
Also, has it been all different fish dying or just specific kinds?

Many thanks for your prompt response!

I do a weekly 20% water change using a gravel syphon and replace the water with tap water (at same temperature) treated with prime. There are two sponges and two carbon filters. I rinse out one sponge in the old water one week and the other the next. I change one of the carbon filters one month and the other the next. I very occasionally clean the rest of the filter (in old water) if the flow seems to have reduced. I used to clean algae from the sides too, but since the addition of the snails a couple of months back, I haven't need to do this.

Since I've had the tank (roughly 14 months) I've lost 4 guppies, 4 embers, 3 mollies, 4 platys and one neon tetra. Of them all, my neon tetras have been the hardiest. I've had 4 of them since week two and they have even survived a bout of white spot. Not great statistics I'm afraid.

I've used three different stores in my region. The second two of which I chose because of their good reputations. I never used my local one as the fish and tanks didn't look well enough cared for.

Hmm...I've had issues keeping livebearers from stores alive myself and suspect it's a genetic issue. Maybe try getting some really high quality fish from a breeder? If it's not that, it's probably internal parasites based on the not-eating part, so I would try Metro, Prazipro, or both.

Thank you ever so much for your advice it's very much appreciated.

If I read the post correctly you said 30L which would be almost 8 gallons. That is a large stock of fish for such a small tank. I think maybe 50% pwc every 3-4 days.

Any fish have whitish stringy poop?

I agree with Autumnsky on this

I've have had my aquarium for over a year now, but I still seem manage to kill off a fish every few weeks. I know in the beginning I was too naive about everything, but now I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I had a good streak over the summer where all was well for about 3 months, but I've had two deaths (platys) in the last couple of weeks. One hadn't been eating and had been hiding for a while, but with no obvious external problems. The other had one white spot on it's tail yesterday and was dead this morning.

I do a 20% water change once a week and the parameters always seem ok. Ammonia nil, nitrite nil & nitrate 25mg. I feed my fish every other day.

My tank's only 30L which I have discovered in hindsight is somewhat small (small seemed good to an ignorant beginner). It contains 7 neon tetras, 1 ember tetra, 1 platy, 4 guppies and 3 snails.

your biggest problem is the part I highlighted which you already acknowledged a 8g tank is to small for that stock , for the time being till you can upgrade tanks follow autumnskys suggestion , look forward to hear of a happy outcome
Try and avoid any new stock till you can upgrade your tank
almost forgot welcome to AA remember a happy fish is a healthy fish(y)

Last edited:
1 invest in a much larger aquarium. 2 it seems like you may be in a constant cycle due to all the chronic maintenance. Test your water regularly and maybe change water every two weeks or once a month.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Changing your water often doesn't affect the cycle at all, changing less water would just make the nitrates go crazy. If anything do bigger weekly water changes. The tank can't be in a constant cycle, the water parameters show that the tank is cycled.

Thank you for the all your comments.

I shall not be adding anymore fish, but may I ask how many you would consider the max. The original store where I purchased the tank suggested I could have up to 20 small fish. Even I thought this was too much, however the store I have used most recently thought 12-14 so long as my water quality was fine, which it seems to be.

It may well be overstocking, however even when I only had half a dozen fish, I still had random deaths. I shall continue with my weekly water changes for the time being as my parameters are ok and I don't want my nitrates to build up. I shall however up my water testing to double check that there is no cycling going on.

As for the poop, my livebearers have always had a tendency for stringy poop, but usually greeny. The only time they have white poop is when I've put one of those white holiday blocks in whilst I've been away. May I ask what problem does 'whitish stringy poop' suggest?

Poop can come out like a string, but white to clear stringy poo can be a couple things, most often internal parasites. That doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. I shall keep a note for future reference.

It's been about a month now since my original post and I'm pleased to say that I've had no further deaths. All my water parameters are ok and all seems well.
I'll continue to do my current maintenance and fingers crossed everything will continue to be good.

Many thanks to everyone for all their advice.

It's been about a month now since my original post and I'm pleased to say that I've had no further deaths. All my water parameters are ok and all seems well.
I'll continue to do my current maintenance and fingers crossed everything will continue to be good.

Many thanks to everyone for all their advice.

Yay! Yeah it can take a little time for the water to just get in sync. My water had really high pH readings for a while. My fish like that. But it has slowly come down to a normal reading on its own. Which is nice. Just patience and time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom