Stuck fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alisoncaton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I've just joined this forum as I'm new to keeping fish and have encountered a problem that I need practical help with. I've had a Juwel Rekord for around 8 weeks, have followed all the advice I have been given, now have 6 danios as my first fish. However after doing a 25% water change I noticed I only had 5 fish, I hunted everywhere thinking one had leapt out etc and eventually found it wedged between the glass and the fixed filter, it was very traumatic, I thought she was dead initially, I struggled to get the blade of a knife down between the two so have no idea how she managed to get there. I had to cut all the silicon away to free the filter in order to get her out, she was lost/stuck for about 2 hours in total, I'm surprised she survived. I now have a free standing filter! Obviously I'm reluctant to re attach the filter permanently in case this happens again, although I've been told by the manufacturer that it has to be fixed to work properly. Has anyone experienced this or got any advice on how to prevent this happening again. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi, lucky fish! Can you cut media foam pad into the gap to block it? I've heard of this being used on filter intakes.

Hi and welcome to AA! Delapool has a good suggestion; try buying some filter media padding and insert it between the filter and the glass so the fish can't get through.

How would I keep it clean? Would I have to cut filter out every time it needed replacing/cleaning?

How would I keep it clean? Would I have to cut filter out every time it needed replacing/cleaning?

Perhaps could you cut it into a strip around the filter edge which could be pulled out, re-inserted when it gets unsightly? The strip could just be cleaned in old tank water, otherwise I'd leave it in for the bb. The media foam should last a long time. I have a fluval u4 and have found an eye dropper useful to squirt water between glass and filter to clear debris. Probably do that every few months as the filter is on the side not the back and more visible.

Back
Top Bottom