Taking the plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all. Rob here from LI New York.

I've been a FreshWater tank owner for MANY years. My current tank has been running for about 4 years with African Ciclids. Recently, while helping my 3.5year old feed them, we somehow cracked the support bar going across the middle of my 45gal AG Tank. I stopped by my LFS, and was told I SHOULD replace the entire collar to make sure it's safe. I ordered the part today and should have it by the end of the week. With 3 little kiddies in the house, I will not take chances. Plus, it was only $15 and I was pretty much expecting to have to replace the tank!

ANYWAY..why am I posting here? My wife and I have always wanted to go with a SW Reef tank. Being that I need to drain the tank to install the new collar, we decided we are going to take the plunge.

I've been reading as much as I can online (found this forum) and also talked to my LFS sales guy at Aquarium Adventures. Here is my current equipment listing that I plan to reuse on my reef tank:

45Gallon All Glass Tank with brand new Collar :)
Stand
AquaClear 500 HangOn Filter
AquaClear PowerHeads (a 402 and a 502)
I also have a bunch of Penquin PH's not being used currently
I purchased a 20lb Dead Coral that's been in my Ciclid tank for some time now. I hope I can use it
A Heater

The fish expert at the shop advised me that I could use this filter but I would not use the standard media. He said he'd give me what I needed when I was ready to get this filter working. He DID say I will need to add a Protein Skimmer if using this filter.
I know I need Sand and some Live Rock to kick off the process.
I will also replace my Hood and lighting as I have the standard Perfecto Hood and light. I'd like to get just a glass Canopy and a better light.

any Opinions on the above setup/advice?

Anyway, apologies for the long post... Once I get started there's no stopping me :)

I'm sure I'll have a million questions once I officially start the project.
Cheers!

Welcome to AA!

Read read read. There's so much to learn, and if you take your time now to get through it all, it will save you headache and $$ in the long run.

Welcome to AA! There is a wealth of information here to be found. Your eyes will be sore by the time you get through reading the info.

Welcome aboard. Youe equipment list looks OK. I would consider using LR and a skimmer for filtration. That`s all I used when I first started with my 55 gallon tank. Also a good 1 or 2 PH`s to push the water around.

Back
Top Bottom