Tank cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claudete

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i am new to the fish hobby and I'm having an issue with cycling my tank. I have had the tank now for 4 weeks and it hasn't started to cycle yet. I have 6 White cloud minnows in the tank. They like cold water so at the beginning i did not use the heater. I have been getting ammonia readings of .25 or more but no nitrites or nitrates. I have been doing water changes of 25% every couple of days to keep the ammonia down. I have also added the aquaclear bio max filter insert with the existing filter. I have also added the heater back into the tank and set at 72 degrees which is the maximum temperature for the fish i have hoping that this will help. How do i get the tank to start to cycle I'm afraid that i will start losing fish.

How many fish in how big a tank? Plants?

It doesn't sound like you are seeing any issues. Is there a problem or do you have a particular worry?

Fish in cycle typically takes 4 to 6 weeks. Can be longer. If you are only seeing ammonia + nitrite combined at less 0.5ppm then there is minimal risk to your fish.

The best way to help your cycle would be to introduce some filter media from an established aquarium. Bacteria booster products like Dr Tims One and Only or Seachem Stability may help. They are a bit hit and miss, so may do nothing either.

I wouldnt worry about it. You arent reporting elevated levels of anything or seeing ill health in your fish. You are keeping on top of your water changes when you see ammonia.

Tank cycling

Thank you for responding, I have a 10 gallon tank with only the 6 white cloud minnows in it. I am using the seachem stability, along with the biomax insert. I was concerned that my fish would start dying if it soon did not start to cycle.

Claudete

A cycled tank will make the water safe for your fish to live in by removing harmful ammonia and nitrite and converting it to much less harmful nitrate. The water changes you do during the cycling process is manually removing those harmful products so the risk of fish dying because you arent cycled should be very minimal.

Back
Top Bottom