Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tank going downhill

Hi friends I have a 16 gallon bio cube that has been running for 2 months now. Iíve put fish food in it everyday now and I even put a piece of table shrimp in the tank on the bottom. For 2 months now my ammonia and nitrites have risen but nitrates remains 0 for 2 whole months now. Now my tank has a bad smelly fish smell to it. The filter is making this really loud annoying sound. Tons of diatom algae in the tank and the water turned milky white cloudy about 2 days ago. I donít understand what Iím doing wrong. I did everything the fish store told me and apparently my tank is still not cycled after 2 months. The tank keeps going downhill even when Iím doing everything the fish store tells me and the forumís tell me. What do I do? Drain the tank and start over?

Old 01-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is some information to help you with your tank. You will learn to take the advice of the aquarium store with a grain of salt, sorry.

Aquarium Beginner Guide will answer most of your questions.

Click here to help with Cycling your new Filter/Tank.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWMearig29 View Post
Hi friends I have a 16 gallon bio cube that has been running for 2 months now. Iíve put fish food in it everyday now and I even put a piece of table shrimp in the tank on the bottom. For 2 months now my ammonia and nitrites have risen but nitrates remains 0 for 2 whole months now. Now my tank has a bad smelly fish smell to it. The filter is making this really loud annoying sound. Tons of diatom algae in the tank and the water turned milky white cloudy about 2 days ago. I donít understand what Iím doing wrong. I did everything the fish store told me and apparently my tank is still not cycled after 2 months. The tank keeps going downhill even when Iím doing everything the fish store tells me and the forumís tell me. What do I do? Drain the tank and start over?

Thatís a bit! but itís all been seen before and all tanks will cycle (eventually haha).

When did nitrates show up and whatís your pH? What are other tank readings? Also tap water readings to give you a base line.

Also what is substrate? The diatoms should burn themselves out but occasionally sand or the water gives problems.

Iíd suggest a 60% water change (and then another one next day) to refresh the water of elements/ carbonates needed and get rid of that smell.

Bottled ammonia may be better.

Not ideal but have a look at filter and see if impeller is getting blocked. Sometimes a quick removal and clean of impeller seats it better. As long as filter pads stay wet they are fine. If badly gunked up I would shake them in some old tank water - not much, just to clear them a little so filter gets water flow properly.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The milky tank sounds like a bacterial bloom - will generally burn itself out as well. Just indicates tank is still stabilising / muck has been stirred up. Not uncommon.

Good news to have nitrites
Old 01-14-2021, 02:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

add more aeration

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com