The new kid in class!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brackman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello

Finally somewhere I can talk about my fish without ppl getting bored outta their minds!!!! I've been in the hobby for a lil over 5yrs now. No expert but gained some knowledge along the way. I have a 75 gal brack tank Thad been upgraded twice (30g to 55g to 75g). I now have two tanks set up, a 75g full brac and a 55g low end brac that I'm slowly moving up to mid brac to keep some live plant. I just got a slamming good deal on a 180g and am currently housing my full brack in there half full (roughly 75-90g). I think (wife hopes) that this is finally big enough for what I want to do. I listed all my fish on my profile so I'm not gonna repeat myself to save some time. I hope to attain some more knowledge and some friendships thru this forum cause my rl friend are sick of hearing about my fish lol. Thanks in advance to all that help me along the way to the expert level and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. See around the forum.

Welcome! Ooh a brackish aquatist :) I am sure there are more on here somewhere but I have always been curious about BW, after doing some reading on it I assume it is about as much work as saltwater? This is a good place to make friends and talk fishy, my sister thinks I am crazy lol. She's a teenager though.... all she cares about is texting! lol

Welcome!..now pics...we loooove pics![/QUOTE

I'll try to get some pics up by the weekend. But remember that they are works in progress lol. They are by no means show tanks yet lol! And thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Welcome! Ooh a brackish aquatist :) I am sure there are more on here somewhere but I have always been curious about BW, after doing some reading on it I assume it is about as much work as saltwater? This is a good place to make friends and talk fishy, my sister thinks I am crazy lol. She's a teenager though.... all she cares about is texting! lol

Actually they aren't much work at all. We have a BW 80 and it's very easy. Just like FW but with a bit of reef salt added. Even got plants living in ours. : )

Welcome to AA. You'll enjoy your stay here. You have some nice tanks and it's nice that you are a backish aquarist owner. That is unique. I have a quick question though, are Figure 8 pufferfish both brackish and freshwater? I read somewhere that certain pufferfish are either BW & FW.

nice. I keep mine between 1.008 and 1.010. I have been wanting to plant my tank but I'm not sure if I'm ready for tha yet. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew. My scat would eat any plant I put in the tank I think and I believe some may harmful to him I eaten

nice. I keep mine between 1.008 and 1.010. I have been wanting to plant my tank but I'm not sure if I'm ready for tha yet. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew. My scat would eat any plant I put in the tank I think and I believe some may harmful to him I eaten

Yeah that's the best way to go. I wanted to plant mine too but remembered that I have my son so it's enough getting my pwc's and maintenance to the fish in. One step at a time is the best way to not crash the tank lol.

As for the fish you have in there, which is your favorite? I saw on a BW profile site once those mudskipper things. I think it would absolutely awesome to have one of those little guys!

The mudskipper are so cool. I always just sit and watch the few in a tank at my lfs. And the cool thing is my wife actually wants me to get one and that's amazing all in it's own lol. She thinks I'm nuts. But I think I would have to lower the salinity a bit for those guys. I don't think they can handle full brack. But don't quote me on that

I almost went with scats in ours but did extra research and found they weren't quite what I wanted. My reason for starting the BW was for the dragon gobys, love those guys. So now we have 2, 6 bumblebee gobys, probably 2 dozen ghost shrimp, about the same amount of different colored mollies and 5 indian glass fish (not the painted ones)

Actually they aren't much work at all. We have a BW 80 and it's very easy. Just like FW but with a bit of reef salt added. Even got plants living in ours. : )

Was just wondering how you aclimated your plants. And what type of substrate are u using and how deep. And is the lighting super important for hearty plants such as the javas??? I really want to plant my tank and want to make sure I do it right!!!

I'm using 3M T grade black color quartz It's not as big as regular gravel but not as fine as sand, thought 3M has an S grade which is sand. I have a 4 inch depth and I use 2 6500k 55 w CF bulbs. Javas are a low/medium light, same with most of the others. The red tiger lily had me nervous because I read it was a high light plant. But it's doing great in the tank. No ferts at all. If you look in my albums for the 80g, that is our BW tank. :)

The plants were added while I cycled the tank. Then I slowly raised the SG to it's current state. I only add salt once a month to emulate the tidal cycles of FW/SW so it's not a constant SG of 1.010. But if you have a spare tank, like one you use for QT, you can get plants and slowly add salt until they are acclimated. I have been transplanting some of the plants from the 80 to our FW tanks this way. I bring our QT (no new fish right now) up to SG 1.010 then over the course of 2 weeks bring it down to fresh.

That is some great info. Now when my wife is yelling "you're spening more on fish stuff!!!!!!" I'm going to tell her" that dragonfish made me do it" lol. Thanks again for the info. I'll keep ya posted on how it turns out. I have a few thing going first. One thing at a time lol. One more question for you. What are you feeding your dragons??? They are one of the main reasons I went brackish but I have heard they can be very difficult to get to feed so I have strayed away from buying them.

*lol* Oh sure, blame me, what the heck.

My guys eat shrimp pellets, flake, crisps (those tetra tropical crisps) and frozen brine or blood worms. They are much easier to feed than our bumblebees. The bees are very shy and the mollies are pigs. I have to squirt food to the bees with a turkey baster.

Back
Top Bottom