Timid Hello...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnieTheNemone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi..

I was reseaching (something forgotten to a lot of people these days) about what LPS and SPS mean and believe I had covered 95% of the internet and I came across this forum.. and oh dear! what a topic I found.

Some clueless, Illiterate chap asking for advice on tanks and managed to wind a few of you up.. nearly turning into a virtual war on the forum.

So, it was with great trepidation and nerves of steel that I have created myself an account.. I still have no idea what SPS and LPS mean, and was wondering if someone could tell me.. please don't flame me!

I have kept fish for 7 years, tropical for 3 and Marine for 4, Marine was started with a 50g with lots of rock, fish and Metal Halides, V2 skimmer, ozone generator and a very happy tank.

Form the above, for various reasons, I downsized to a beautiful 20g tank with integrated T5s, filter, UV and Skimmer.

If anyone remembers the heated topic I'm referring to - then it scared me that I could not answer all of the questions raised therein, but I want to.

I think sometimes it is not easy as everyone is so used to talking in acromyns and abbreviations that the real words get lost in history and are never used.. or just get too hard to find and that people (me?) give up.

I care a lot about animals, that they are happy and not stressed so have joined here to try and understand more about how to do thebest by my pets.

I am about to upgrade to a 60g tank as it is the right time in my life and circumstances to allow this (basically I have enough money and space and time!). I'm going to build a sump (oh how exciting, lots of pencil drawings and printouts from web sites), getting new skimmer (Deltec MC500 second hand), new macro algae (EBay - not sure if this is a good idea?)for sump and have ordered a whole stack of patience to see me through the period where I establish the new tank (right next to the smaller 20g tank) and then, when the parameters are correct, I will slowly start transferring rocks, corals and fish across.

My user name is AnnieTheNemone because we (my partner and I) have a Purple Anemone called Annie (again don't flame me for not knowing the species, I got her from a good LFS and forgot to write the name down, I think she's a Condy and it is very hard to compare on line). We have one other anemone, called Euwan, hes a Magnificent Anemone.

What is the correct name for the large toadstool-like corals? the ones with a thick 'trunk' and flat disk like top? (I can find the latin name but not sure what to look for in shops).

I'll stop writing now, that's me.. Hi!

I still don't know a lot of answers to the 20 questions... (but will search the forum because asking for answers)

Welcome to AA :) Glad you joined. dont worry about anybody flaming you on anything like that, and if they do, there's a little yellow triangle with an exclamation point on it under everyones name on the left of the page. just click on that if you need to and you can report a post.

Welcome to AA! :)

What is the correct name for the large toadstool-like corals?... Sarcophyton.

Back
Top Bottom