Total fish noob looking for some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!

Just gonna tell ya my story and hopefully you guys can help me over the next few weeks :)

I recently set up a 25 gallon tank for 2 common goldfish. Originally I had never even thought about fish, but I wanted to get my daughter a pet of some sort. So I went to my pet store and the sold me a small plastic bowl with 2 common goldfish. Making sure to tell me that and more than 2 goldfish in a small bowl is too much! Ha!

Now I'm not gonna lie, I didn't do my research before I bought them, and because the store told me this was perfectly normal, I didn't think anything of it. So after a few days i decided to look up a bit about goldfish online, and as you can understand was a bit upset to see that fish can't live in a bowl! I honestly never even questioned it before. The whole "goldfish in a bowl" sounds normal. How do they get away with selling these tiny bowls?

Anyway, I've got quiet attached to the little guys, so I did a load of research and bought the 25 gallon tank (I know some people say they need more, and I'm not doubting they do, but with the resources I have the best I could do is 25 gallons at the moment). In the future ill hopefully upgrade.

So I set up the tank, have an eheim filter, an eheim jäger heater (I know they don't need a heater but I felt it was best to keep the water at a constant temperature). And I have an eheim 200 air pump connected to 2 air stones.

So I let the whole thing run for 2 days and then this morning I added the fish. I acclimated them by keeping them in a bag of water from the bowl, floated it in the new tank and slowly added little bits of the new tank water over an hour and then released them. I know people do this for ph differences. Was it even nessessary since the ph would have been the same in both the bowl and new tank? ( all came from the same tap). I used seachem prime to treat the water.

So it's now the first night and I tried to feed them, but they wouldn't go near it. It was moving around quite a bit because of the filter and air stones so I shut them off for a few minutes and still nothing. Is this normal in a tank change over? And also, should I be turning the filter off while feeding? I took out all the uneaten food by the way. I have flakes at the moment. Will vary the diet more soon.

Sorry for the wall of text :). Hope ya's can point out some errors on my part so far. Harsh criticism is welcome!

Edit: forgot to ask, is it ok to turn the air pump off at night? The tank is in my room and its a wee bit noisy

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. You can head over to the freshwater section and start a thread there. You'll get more responses there.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom