Total newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emmakatie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I have a 65l tank and which is in the middle of being cycled. I have been reading around on what fish to get. I am intrested in colourful fish and was hoping for some advice on what go nicely together. I was thinking 5 male guppies, a pair of dwarf chichlids and maybe a dwarf gourami. I would appreciate any help or advice on this :) thanks

Hi everyone, I have a 65l tank and which is in the middle of being cycled. I have been reading around on what fish to get. I am intrested in colourful fish and was hoping for some advice on what go nicely together. I was thinking 5 male guppies, a pair of dwarf chichlids and maybe a dwarf gourami. I would appreciate any help or advice on this :) thanks

Gourami are beautiful fish an are similar aggressive, but mine only nip at each other. I have opaline and gold. They may have different personality than the dwarf gourami. I don't know much about the cichlids, but do good research on them. Some can be very aggressive, and some types wouldn't hurt anything. If you have guppies you can always go with a mollies. Their are several types of Molly. Swordtails would go well too. Hope this helps.

Ok thanks! How many swordtails is a good idea to have do they do well buy them selves or do they prefer having a partner?

Ok thanks! How many swordtails is a good idea to have do they do well buy them selves or do they prefer having a partner?

You can have all males if you want, but if you decide to add females you need about 2 to 3 females per male. I would add female guppies and female sword tales. It is fun to watch them birth and grow. You can have a lot of fun raising the fry in a breeder net, or don't do anything and let nature run its course. Some will live and some will get eaten. If you get too many just give them away or take them to your local fish store. Some places will gladly take free live breeders.

Thanks. I was thinking to start with males and see how things go!

Thanks. I was thinking to start with males and see how things go!

Just know that you will need twice or three times as many females as males. If you decide to add them later you may have to buy a bunch all at once. If you add one female with a bunch of males they will all go after her and it will wear her down.

Aw thanks I was thinking of all males for now and see how I get on :)

Back
Top Bottom