Trying so hard to save this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hear the filters got rinsed in tap water.

if you aren't familiar enough with how the nitrification cycle works, read that info again and Heck, I had to read it a few times to feel like I got it.

The basics are you want your beneficial bacteria to grow on the filter media and swish, giggle gently to preserve as much as possible. After you have a cycled filter/tank, you can be more vigorous to clean, but for now very gently.

Prime water conditioner eliminates the dangerous effects of normal amounts of heavy metals, and Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. So GREAT stuff to have when cycling a tank. A few other products do that as well.

Have seen good reposts of people buying a cycled filter from Angels Plus.

Is this fish living in a pond normally? And the temps for the water were in the teens of the air temp?

Are there more fish in the pond and what kind and how many, and what # gallons is the pond?

Thank you ...Yes I have been keeping up with Fluval Cycle Concentrated biological booster... which I use every water change ... when I have to get more I will look into that one

About 2weeks.

Once I isolated the tap water as the source, It only took a few days to start bringing tanks back into balance

I added some ammonia reducing carbon into filter, and for three days in a row I added both Prime and bacteria supplement at the recommended doses

Now we run .25, and I add both Prime and bacteria at each water change , while I wait out the mini-cycle

Ok the fish are in the garage for winter we had great weather thinking the teen weather was gone and put them out in a hand made over 3000 gallons pond and the weather dropped into single digits and he went sideways ... so we brought all the fish back in the garage 400 gallon tank but took the sick one in the house we think the cold weather got to him :(.

We have 14 fish ...koi's and fancy gold fish different colors .... and one frog lol he snuck in so we put him in the garage tank and he is doing fine so far I think the pond is 3,500 gallons ...

Oh, I think I remember
The temperature swung back down and the fish had to be brought in in a hurry, right? And one was falling over?

There was some concern that he might have suffered shock when the temperature dropped....

Is this him?

Yes that's him :( he is doing pretty good right now

Good to hear that he's improved.

Have you been able to feed any more than peas yet?

Water melon is avidly consumed by my goldfish, and he might enjoy that...soft and nutritious:)

I feed them broccoli too, they love to tear at the florets.

You're doing great with him:)

Only peas I'll try other stuff soon I'm amazed they eat all that stuff Thanks fingers crossed :)

Yeah, mine eat all the veggies I feed the pleco lol

Broccoli is funny though because they look like they're tearing up grass[emoji23]

There are a lot i didn't know about I'm glad I found this place :)

Yeah, it's crazy the things we learn:)

Did you know Betta eat veggies too? Apparently they like red peppers lol!

I don't know if they gain much nutritional value from them... but when you think, most fish do a little grazing so I guess they wouldn't eat it if they couldn't use it?

How about can green beans ? Lol. I didn't know that I had betas in the past and never k ew all this

I haven't tried beans yet, but I hear the unsalted canned beans are taken to like candy by pleco lol

As far as I understand, you can feed fish any fruit/veggies that is not acidic

Each fish has its preference, and makes it abundantly clear lol

When I fed watermelon to the goldfish, they dug in so voraciously that it reminded me of a toddler with ice cream ? there was nothing left an hour later lol

the pleco latches onto red peppers and I have to shake him off to remove them..... and he'll suck spinach till you can see through it

Last year I visited a breeder who stocked stacks of regular canned green beans in the institutional sized cans. He feeds them by the hand fulls and raises many kinds of fish which will eat them too, but specifically Green Dragon Plecostomus, regular color and Albino, mostly long fins, very beautiful. (Got 4 of them from him 2 of each color) He does many water changes too, but throws so many in there I just can't imagine they could all be eaten, but he said they were!

After doing reading, salted foods for the fish are not really good for them, (his fish are big and beautiful and do not look like they are suffering at all eating salted beans). I chose the unsalted variety of canned green beans, and at first they just looked at them with a little nibble, and in the morning they were gone!!! Then I knew they liked them!

It is a simple thing to be able to do. (This week I have been feeding black worms to my new fish and Yuck - time consuming and smelly!!!)

Oh gosh lol now that I know all this my fish will be much happier :). My sick guy is still sick but I'm not giving up. I think I got the water changes and stuff down pat until I get the tank cycled. Which is taking a long time but I bought a new one called fritz 7 bacteria and I heard it's very good better than the one petco sells . But it's not getting here till Saturday ....

Back
Top Bottom