Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2021, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unexplained betta death

I've started a 20 long planted betta tank over a month back and I'm having a strange problem. I had a male twin tail in the tank by himself for a while before adding a school of neon tetras. The first was fine, the half way through the second week, my betta died. At first I thought it was due his previous injuries and stress from the new tank. A few days later, I added an opal male to the tank. Every one got along and he was happy and active until today when I got home to find him dead. The neon tetras are fine and I afraid of this becoming a betta death tank. I plan on doing a water change and a water test soon as possible. Any advice and/or thoughts are appreciated!

Old 09-19-2021, 03:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

First thing you should do if something feels off is a water change. Let us know what your water parameters are when you get them.

Lots of things can cause fish deaths, and the 2 deaths may or may not be related. The first one could well be the result of the injuries and stress you mention. The second? Any signs of disease or injury? Perhaps the fish was sick before you got him. What are the living conditions of the fish in the store you got him from?

Tags
betta, death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hi! | Hey from AU »