Unexplained betta death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex Rychel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've started a 20 long planted betta tank over a month back and I'm having a strange problem. I had a male twin tail in the tank by himself for a while before adding a school of neon tetras. The first was fine, the half way through the second week, my betta died. At first I thought it was due his previous injuries and stress from the new tank. A few days later, I added an opal male to the tank. Every one got along and he was happy and active until today when I got home to find him dead. The neon tetras are fine and I afraid of this becoming a betta death tank. I plan on doing a water change and a water test soon as possible. Any advice and/or thoughts are appreciated!

First thing you should do if something feels off is a water change. Let us know what your water parameters are when you get them.

Lots of things can cause fish deaths, and the 2 deaths may or may not be related. The first one could well be the result of the injuries and stress you mention. The second? Any signs of disease or injury? Perhaps the fish was sick before you got him. What are the living conditions of the fish in the store you got him from?

Back
Top Bottom