why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i2ik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, i am a real noobs in this, always been with freshwater aquarium and now i would like to start with a 20G tank. After seeing a lot of saltwater aquarium pictures, i wonder why people are putting so many reefs and corals. Is there a reason? I know its good looking but it is very expensive also... Anyways, thanks in advance for your answers. :)

i just try not to think about the expense part of it. i have a 26 gallon reef tank with a lot of corals, sponges,etc. im beginning to think that it is the only thing thats keeping me sane!

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

I keep a reef tank, cause I want to keep my fish in as healthy and natuaral environment as possible. I also get as much, if not more satisfaction from everything else in the tank as I do the fish.

thanks for answering
what do you mean by keeping your fish healthy? Does reef make them feel healthy? If so why?

The VAST amjority of fish available for the marine aquarium hobby are reef fish, the reef is their home. They are ripped out of the reef to be thrown into a small glass box, anything that will make them feel more at home will reduce stress which makes for a healthier fish. It is also very common for any successful reef to have much higher water quality than a FOWLR or FO tank, better water quality also means healthier fish.

I actually prefer the corals to the fish. The fish provide a little more movement - my guests like them, but for me, watching the corals grow and develop is fascinating.

I think of reef structures for SW fish as plants are for FW fish. They will live without them, but there is a bit of a symbiotic relationship between the fish and their living habitat.

i think for a lot of us with reef tanks it was just a natural progression. I started out with a fish only to see if i could keep things alive. As my skills and confidence grew I branched out into the reef by buying a simple mushroom colony. One thing led to another and now I have a full-blown reef set-up. For me it was a chance to learn about a whole new world. It can be expensive, but not too bad if you go slow and spread things out. Good Luck and welcome to AA! Lando

Back
Top Bottom