Woops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicmarn1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Oh boy, am i glad that i found this place :facepalm: !

I have had a few tanks over the last 15 years, but I think i just had blind luck now i get more into the research. Also i realize why the fish i did not do well for, did not make it.

Anyway I just got a new tank recently and did the worst thing - put all the fish in a 30 gallon tank (oh gosh i feel like such an idiot now, not sure why the fish guy let me out of his store, he seemed to think i'd be fine) only 48 hours after setting up 7 live plants and water etc.

So the good news is i am willing to do whatever it takes i drove for 2 hours to 2 different stores to get my water tested and did a 25% water change, added Nutrafin Cycle to neutralize the slight, very slight reading of ammonia the second store had found. Will order my own test kits etc and follow any advice i can get from you guys. Did read the articles and watch the you tube thank you so much for that help.

The fish - all young and almost all from the same tank in the store (wishing now, that he gave me more scrapings from his tank!) 1 beautiful silver blue Angel fish, 1 Bala shark (my first and now i'm thinking he needs another friend AFTER my cycle is finished and only until i get the bigger tank later this year)

5 red serpae tetra's, 8 glow-light neons, 2 boesmani rainbows.:fish1:

ok so im having a slight panic attack but am willing to do everything possible to keep them happy i did get a new bulb for my tank plants and have natural pebble gravel am totally new to different floor materials, my overall goal
is to learn as much as i can about planted tanks and build up to a 55 planted discus tank (my local fish guy also had 2 discus in with these fish and he said wait before adding those at least !!!! but his tank was the same size as mine, he had congo tetras instead of red's but i wanted a little more color).

Ok so thank you and feel free to throw rotten tomatoes and yell insulting phrases at me, but please also do offer any advice that i might not have caught from the articles - i was relieved to hear about 50% water changes twice weekly, had cringed away from that due to thinking it was too shocking. so now tonight am filling up the buckets ready for two days from now.

Last thing - i am on well water, no chlorine but iron etc any pointers to where to go to learn about how that affects my tank? keeping it between 79-82 temp wise so far that is what they had at the store. :thanks:

Congrats for doing the research and wanting to help the fish. A fish-in cycle is possible, but not recommended IMO. If possible, I would take the fish back to the store and do a fish less cycle. You don't have to worry about the fishes health or the ammonia getting too high. You can find articles on here on how to do a fish less cycle. Welcome to the forum! Knowledge is power! :)

No throwing rotten tomatoes here!! We don't bash or belittle. We simply welcome you and try and help anyway we can!!

So welcome to the AA family.

Thanks

Thanks guys, feel like they might make it with all the things im learning here.

So my local store will not take the fish back, he is saying they will be fine and wants to sell me all the stuff to make sure that happens...did not tell me about that said stuff when i bought them.

I do have cycle and have ordered the recommended test kit so i can change the water as needed.

Going to use warm tap water (im on well water via my faucet) with the safe tap water additives and the cycle in there each change? it did not say on the bottle what to do after a big water change. :nono: Since i did a 25% water change yesterday i was going to do another tomorrow? :fish2: The stress of the water changes will not lower their resistance right?

Everyone in there is fine so far - will post pictures and updates so you all know how it turns out, please keep the advice coming as i really do not want my mistake to cost lives.

just a quick update, to let everyone know its day 5 and no loss of life, but is this the time that ammonia fades and nitrite kicks in? wasnt seeing exactly what day that tends to happen but i presume it would be based on fish life:feeding amounts:plant life: water volume etc? im going from 25% water changes to 50% now and am not seeing any signs of stress etc, i am using the bacteria products just to make myself feel better !

Welcome!!
When your test kit comes in you may want to test your tap/well water. It will give a baseline of what you are adding to your tank so there are no surprises.

It could take up to 3-4 weeks or more before you see movement.

ok so that was 6 days ago and i was doing the changes to keep the ammonia readings below 0.50 which is where they were maxing out, now today the ammonia is ZERO i tested it like 10 times !! the other thing is the water is super clear and some of the fish are acting way more exuberant (i didnt think they were acting sluggish before, just now they are gadding about happily and i can see the difference). :dance:

The bottled cycle was useless, zero impact but i did add the ACTIV FLORA planted tank gravel substrate with live heterotrophic bacteria (the blurb says) and BAM two days later i have this result. I now know that i need to watch for nitrite but unless im mistaken i should not have seen ammonia gone so soon right? even with 50% changes.

again my fish THANK YOU (y) for all the advice and warnings etc, i would not have been so vigilant without them, since my husband was the - ahh they will be fine guy and he has kept tanks all his life ! *smacks husband*. :thanks:

ok so going to keep testing for nitrite and nitrate but so far my readings are down to nothing and just two days ago i was at .50 (its hard to be exact with the strip panel showing first yellow, then light green and progressively darker, i can only interpret my best guess but it never got to 1 for sure ! im pretty sure i was at 0.25-.50.

Anyway i was very worried about harming these guys and am thrilled if it DID work and confused if it didn't. Anyone think im out of the woods or is it the calm before the storm? :fish2:

Phew

everyone is doing fine in the tank, im working on a much bigger tank, will take ages this time with a FISHLESS cycle haha but ill be able to seed from the smaller tank and kick start it with inhabitants from this tank etc but i will be using that activ flora gravel, if just to get the:thanks::thanks: plants going super quick as it seemed to really help in that department if nothing else. it was almost the same cost as regular gravel so i didnt see the harm ! i see now that nothing can instantly cycle the tank and that too much bioload can also inhibit the cycling. :thanks:

Attachments

• DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom