Wow! Have things changed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New guy here and it looks like I'll have to relearn things all over again.
But this looks like the right place to do it.

What is this LED lighting?
And when did they get rid of undergravel filters?
:lol:

Looks like I have my work cut out for me.
I think I'll get started :)

Thanks.
Can't wait to get some replies to my question. I don't want to step off the deep end.

Question: Can you (@aiken drum) see I clicked on Thanks? Is it like a Like button, or do I need to type a comment? I've never seen this.

I would chip in some comments on your other post, but im UK and you are USA so you probably would be better with local knowledge around where to shop and what is good value. Hopefully someone can help you out.

Link to some useful articles for newcomers, you are obviously an old hand looking to catch up. But there might be some stuff you dont know or have forgotten about.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

Would definately be cool to see you put your tank together and get fish in there.

Last edited:
I would chip in some comments on your other post, but im UK and you are USA so you probably would be better with local knowledge around where to shop and what is good value. Hopefully someone can help you out.

Link to some useful articles for newcomers, you are obviously an old hand looking to catch up. But there might be some stuff you dont know or have forgotten about.

Would definately be cool to see you put your tank together and get fish in there.

I have a LOT of catching up to do. That's for sure.
There are some things you can go old school on, and some things you can't.
Aquariums have gone a generation or two past from what I remember.

I got back into the hobby in January after being away for about 15 years. I am lucky to have a solid local store that’s been in business for 40+ years, and that helped a lot. Don’t look for mercurochrome to cure injuries LOL. I’m still old enough that I use the fish in cycling method in which they survived.

I have a LOT of catching up to do. That's for sure.
There are some things you can go old school on, and some things you can't.
Aquariums have gone a generation or two past from what I remember.

Actually, things haven’t really progressed as much as you might think. Fluorescent tubes and CFL bulbs are still viable and are still used by many. Under gravel filters are still unbelievable reliable and effective in my opinion in most cases vastly superior to modern filters.

I think knowledge about how to stock responsibly, the knowledge of ammonia and establishing a nitrogen cycle and perhaps some foods have improved.

The planted hobby has changed a great deal mind and our understanding of nutrients etc has move forward a lot but in essence, a dingy fluorescent tube, undergravel filter and a sensible, responsible bioload or fish stock with infrequent water changes is perfectly viable and often produce tanks just as healthy or healthier than some modern practices can.

Actually, things haven’t really progressed as much as you might think. Fluorescent tubes and CFL bulbs are still viable and are still used by many. Under gravel filters are still unbelievable reliable and effective in my opinion in most cases vastly superior to modern filters.

I think knowledge about how to stock responsibly, the knowledge of ammonia and establishing a nitrogen cycle and perhaps some foods have improved.

The planted hobby has changed a great deal mind and our understanding of nutrients etc has move forward a lot but in essence, a dingy fluorescent tube, undergravel filter and a sensible, responsible bioload or fish stock with infrequent water changes is perfectly viable and often produce tanks just as healthy or healthier than some modern practices can.

That's what I'm here for. A crash course in knowledge, lol.

I was reading some of the links you sent and cycles are certainly new to me.
Lots to absorb there.

That's what I'm here for. A crash course in knowledge, lol.

I was reading some of the links you sent and cycles are certainly new to me.
Lots to absorb there.

I probably didn’t send the links. Likely Aiken Drum but you’re welcome all the same.

Oops. You're right.
Thanks Aiken.

Just noticed we can't "tag" here...

Thanks.
Really looking forward to some links to aquarium supply stores. I'd hate to be at the mercy of Petco until I learn the ropes again.

I've been pouring over the YT videos in hopes of getting my questions answered there, and there are a lot of useful videos, but it almost seems the freshwater aquarium business is a UK thing now. At least when I search something that is mentioned.

Just so you know you are posting in the welcome wagon. Not everybody comes to this forum. Find the SW forums and post there. You will get alot more replies.

Yes, this was my intro.
My questions to get the conversation going were posted in a thread in the "GS" forum. It seemed the appropriate place. After all, I'm basically getting started all over again.

But since then youtube has done well answering a lot of things I wanted to know. Not specifically, but I pick up on things. For instance, I learned what a rimless aquarium was and now know why the huge price disparity from what I saw in one shop compared to what I am finding online.

It would still be nice to find an aquarium guy or two to talk with. But I found out some more stuff hanging out in front of a local aquarium shop that never opened today... It usually doesn't take much to get guys talking about their hobbies, but after 30 minutes and no answer to their phone, we all went our separate ways. I should have exchanged emails with the one guy, lol.

Back
Top Bottom