Yellowing brown Aquarium Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HugoBresler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys

I have my 150L fresh water tank runnong for about 6 months now and the past month the water would turn a yellowish colour 3 to 5 days after a WC.

I have no live plants and i have a total of 22 cm of fish in the tank.

I do my weekly maintenance like 30 to 50 % WC and siphoning about half of the substrate every other week while rinsing filter media at same intervals o have the boyu overhead filter running at 740LPH and i added a Dolphin F -1200 that runs at 750LPH and i cant say it made a difference.

It is not tannins cuz i have removes the smal piece of driftwood for 2 weeks with no luck.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just keep doing the wc, most likely it is the tannin from driftwood.

Sent from my fish tank

I presume you are rinsing the filters in water removed from your tank and not tap. However, it seems to me like you might be over maintaining your tank and filters. With so few fish in a fair sized tank I wouldn't have though so much maintenance was needed. Do you think it just needs a chance to settle a bit. Try water changes when nitrates reach 20ppm and not before. Also, just remove surface debris from your gravel on a weekly basis and deep clean the gravel less often. Not advice I have ever given before.
Failing that I can recommend Purigen for clearing the water. It's not cheap but it is effective.
Best of luck with your tank. Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you leaving tank lights on for a long time ?

I use a timer and try starting at 6 hours daily to see if less light helps ?

Ok so about 40g tank.

What kind of fish do you have? The inches per gallon
Or cm per liter is not used much anymore. It's not a good way to stock.

ScotJudd

Thanks for the advice i will keep an eye on the nitrates befor WC.

Coursair

I have the lights on about 8 hours a day i have a total of 23 " of fish in the tank 3x angels 1x small tiger oscar i am raising for my 650L tank 2x clown loaches 1x african knife also for big tank when grows up and 1x common pleco.

I am in South Africa so metric measurements is standard over here.

Thanks

Coursair

I have the lights on about 8 hours a day i have a total of 23 " of fish in the tank 3x angels 1x small tiger oscar i am raising for my 650L tank 2x clown loaches 1x african knife also for big tank when grows up and 1x common pleco.

I am in South Africa so metric measurements is standard over here.

Thanks

Metric is great, unfortunately I didn't learn it till I was older.

I'm just saying it's usually best to stock by types of fish, not by the length. We used to say 1 inch of fish per gallon. Most of us no longer use that method.

Oscars for instance are poop machines. High bioload. So a 2" Oscar does not poop equivalent to two 1" Neon Tetras.

I hope I'm making sense.

Does it look like algae in the water ? Like a Green Water issue ?

Purigen in the filter may help. If it's a type of algae, either a 3 day blackout or reducing light to 6 hours daily for now might help ?

It sounds like your doing all the right things.

When you rinse your filter pads are you making sure to rinse them in used tank water or in dechlorinated tapwater ?

Do you have any decor that could be adding color to the water?

Hmmm

Back
Top Bottom