Yet another new guy thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ratcals

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, my name is Mark and I'm a new guy here. At the moment I have made zero purchases. I'm only in the planning/honework phase of setting up a tank. My 'lady friend' thinks I spend too much time alone and I need a hobby to keep me occupied. You see I work nights and don't socialize much because of it. So she wants to buy me a fish tank.

I'm in a unique situation in that I live in Okinawa Japan. I'm retired military, but still work as a consultant. This is where my dilemma comes into place. The availability of salt water fish will probably never be better, but I don't have the experience to keep one. However, being an 'adult' I have the discipline. So, before I set out on this journey I'd like some advice on whether I should go fresh or salt. BTW neither money or space are an issue.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum :) I'm freshwater but think saltwater fish are beautiful as well,It's really up to you :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

I found that my saltwater tank required the highest commitment in TIME. Especially if you are doing a coral reef w fish.

Next in demands are freshwater planted with fish.

And the simplest being freshwater with just fish.

Bigger the tank, the more stable the chemistry. Smaller will require more attention.

If you want a particular species with specific requirements, that can play a factor as well.

This is my personal experience.

If money isn't an issue, perhaps the amount of time you are going to commit will be a deciding factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Welcome!! We love new guys, especially when they want to research what they want to do!!!

Do salt if you don't have issues with the cash needed. When you have the opportunity to keep amazing SW creatures - really large tank. Make sure the flooring can support the weight. ;)

You can start with fish only with live rock (and sand if wanted). Much less light needs if you aren't keeping corals right off the bat - but, you probably will want to keep corals since you are in an area which has such an awesome variety.

Best advice, please just know to remember those cute little fish often get to be sizes that are astounding - so remember to check the adult size of the inhabitants you select.

Overfeeding is usually an issue.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hi, welcome :)

I'm going to go with the saltwater but you could do a main saltwater tank and a small, simple freshwater tank. I mean why stop at one :)

I'd also suggest seeing what shops are in the area. Here cichlids usually take up half the shop floor space (not sure if that is normal). So plenty of selection.

Welcome to the Forum! Don't worry, we'll help you spend your money. ;) If you have the availability of a SW tank, I would suggest starting there. I guess the next question is, are you planning on moving back to the states anytime soon? That would be my only other deciding factor on size other than the time and whether you go SW or FW. In my experience, 30g is a great place to start for smaller fish and 55g is a great place to start for SW and larger fish. They're fairly easy to maintain in comparison and give you a decent balance.

Back
Top Bottom