Yet Another New Member!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlukeSDS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I've been doing a lot of reading but no posting in the day or so since I registered. So I've decided to go ahead and introduce my self :).

My name is Shaun from Montreal, Quebec, and I am 22 years old. I have been fascinated by Tropical fish all my life. I recently lost my beautiful Betta that I kept in my 1 gallon "aquarium" (I only call it an aquarium because it has a mini power filter hehe). I had him for about two years :cry:. Although this recent loss was a sad one it has sparked an interested in keeping a "Real" aquarium!

After hours of reading I must say that I am overwhelmed by the amount of information, and by everyone's willingness to help! The past couple of weeks I have spent a lot of time in pet stores doing some research and investigating prices of "All-In-One" type kits. So far I seem to be leaning in the direction of a 29 gal or a 55 gal tank kit; these seem to be fairly popular sizes. I would prefer to begin this hobby with a FW setup and would probably be going with a community of smaller fish.

Well before I ramble on forever LOL I would just like to say ...

Thank you for all your future advice :wink:,
Shaun

PS: I will doing some looking around tomorrow to see if I can find any "Aquarium Hobbyist" type stores instead of pet shops. Would I be wrong in assuming that their stock is a little more trustworthy?

Welcome to AA! :wave:

PS: I will doing some looking around tomorrow to see if I can find any "Aquarium Hobbyist" type stores instead of pet shops. Would I be wrong in assuming that their stock is a little more trustworthy?

IME, it really just depends on the individual store. Here where I live, there is one fish-only store that is not any better than the other local pet stores. In any event, it is always a good idea to double-check what they tell you with your own independent research. There are some good articles on this site, and a quick search of the threads may also answer some questions. Of course, when in doubt, just ask! :)

Welcome!

Welcome to AA!

I agree with fishyrican (most of the time at least...lol). A small mom and pop and a big chain store are equal if the employee's aren't knowledgable and/or keep their tanks in disarray.

I have found "good" mom and pops as well as bad ones...same for the big chains. When you do visit...ask plenty of questions and observe them and their tanks for awhile. Spend some time watching the fish that you want before you buy it.

This forum is replete with information on just about every subject imaginable. Research and compare information recieved. And of course, if in doubt, come here and ask a question. This forum is very quick for a turn around.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom