10 gal fish tank in carpeted room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just set up a 10 gallon tank in my living room. The room is carpeted with a carpet pad underneath. The stand is really wobbly on the carpet even after I filled the tank. I know the stand is level. I built it myself out of some spare 2 X 4's and scrap wood I had. I checked to make sure it is level after I added the water as well. Does the stand just need to settle in to the carpet pad or should I anchor it to the wall? Should I add some weight in to the base of the stand? Please help. Thanks.

I would absolutely anchor this to wall studs. That tank will be on the floor, no question, if it is at all wobbly. Try to make the stand be like a built-in piece of cabinetry.

Does the stand itself shift like the weight of the tank makes the legs wobble, or is the stand solid and it is simply rocking on the padding underneath?

The stand itself is very sturdy. I made it out of 2 x 4's. I sat on the top just to see how strong it was before I put the tank on it and it took my weight (which isn't light but we won't say how much :wink: ) without a problem. I know 2 x 4's are way overkill for a 10 gal tank but I just used what I had on hand. The stand is simply rocking on the carpet pad. It does seem a little better this morning but it still moves a bit.

If it moves at all it is at risk for going down. If this was a room where no people or animals ever went into, that would be one thing, but if it was any room in my house it is up for grabs to get bumped into at some point!

Yep, tanks get top heavy like that when they are small enough. You'll see a lot of smaller tank stands in the stores have wider bases to make up for this fact.

Back
Top Bottom