10 gallon refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a way i can make a refugium for my tank with a 10 gallon tank. If so what would i all need?

Here is what i thought of

1 the tank
2. Light (what kind of light would i need?)
3. A pump to pump water into and out of tank.(does anyone have a suggestion of what kind of pump and how much would it cost.

Would it be cheaper to do this or just buy the refugium as a kit?

I am in the process of setting up a 10g as a fuge - check my thread. In addition to what you listed, you'll need the live stuff - sand, rocks and macro algaes.

Depending on how you're setting up your system, plumbing it may be difficult. It's not a good plan to use a pump to pump in water, and another pump to pump it out - that's a recipe for disaster. It's better to pump water in or out, and use gravity for the other side of the flow. In my case, I drilled the 10g tank, and use the hole I drilled as the outlet from the tank which dumps into my sump. Instead of using a pump, I T'd off the overflow from the tank to split it between the sump and the fuge, and use a ball valve to control water going into the fuge.

It's much cheaper to put something together on your own than to buy a pre-fab - but there are some really nice pre-fabs available too that work perfectly well.

I agree. Get a HOB overflow and let it gravity feed to your sump and have a pump in the sump tp put it back into the tank. You definitely dont want a pump to send water to the sump. If your return pump malfuntions you will have a major mess. Also moving this to General hardware and equipment discussion forum.

I am dumb when it comes to plumbing. HOB overflow what would i need to hook it up to my 10 G and should there be other chambers in the 10g?

you may want to add a few baffles to separate the fuge area from where your return pump will be. Otherwise you may run into problems with crap getting sucked into your main tank and it getting clogged more frequently.

Back
Top Bottom