10g planted with just gravel, + fish, snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok everyone thanks for the help. Not that I don't do weekly water changes and cleaning of my own. Now I know who I can and can't trust I guess. And btw this is supposed to be a hardware forum. Thanks again for dogging me out. I'm trying here. I really appreciate all that help.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We or me lol didnt mean upset you. I apologize. If you are referring to me. Was not my intention.

I don't think it's y'all upsetting me. I think I just get a little ruffled when things get out of order. Plus I work 6 days a week and long hours at that sometimes I can fly off the handle. For that I'm SORRY.
Thank you fresh2o I didn't realize a banana plant was also know as a Lilly. I should probably keep it then. I like lillies.
Flchamp89 I'm sorry no one has upset me, I'm just tired from work and come home to find out I've got waaay too much going on in my tank. It can be disheartening to realize that and I don't do being wrong well. I tend to be a more calcultive person. Sometimes my logic falls away from me and I make stupid mistakes. I have really upset myself more than anything.

Make sure you have CAE and not Otos. They are easy to tell apart once you see pics side by side.

I said Lillies, I meant Lotus (?). Wasn't sure what plant I was seeing with tall thin stems and floating leaves. Ah I see, you said it's a Banana plant...haven't had those yet.

Research your fish before you buy. Never believe the salesperson until you know how knowledgeable and honest they actually are.

So sorry if you felt belittled or talked down to.
Not my intention.

I'm posting via my phone. Didn't even notice you were posting in the hardware section. Mia Culpa for wandering off topic. Just hate to see new folks sold wrong fish.

Here is an old pic of my favorite Betta
IMG_0190.jpg

Last edited:
That tank is a rimless 10g. I use a canister filter on it. I used custom Lily Pipes to direct the flow for him.

He loved to play in the current, but there were quiet areas of the tank for him to chill. No other inhabitants. He was ruler of his domain.

Canister is an Eheim Ecco 2232

IMG_0172.jpg

Last edited:
And what lillies? I didn't know I had any lillies. Other than a peace Lilly in the top filter of the 3 gallon but that's not exactly a submersible plant. You can let the roots dangle in but keep the actually plant out of the water.

I have an acorus that dangles. My guppies love it.

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

Coursair, I appreciate your advice I really do. I googled and researched both the otocinculous and the CAE. I know for sure the CAE is what I have in there. ? so since it's a fairly new set up and I do plan to do a serious 20g tank in the future with all the bells and whistles, I will keep them for the time being. I have been making many rookie mistakes with this 10g. But as I said this is a learning tank. They did actually clean up the algae and diatoms I had on my java fern (failed to qt new plants) as I said earlier I have a friend that has a 30g tank. She keeps a ciclid in. She will probably end up with them when I do go to the 20g tank. The beta will remain in the 10g. Once I get it perfect, he will know paradise. However he does rule the tank, and the tetras don't bother him. He is why I opted for the bamboo shrimp. A harmless happy critter that will not harm his fins. Although he hasn't suffered at all any damage from anything in the tank yet. The tetras I like and will probably move them to the 20g when I do it up, i will also add a few others tetras of the same type to the new tank. For now they just kinda hang out with each other and don't do much.

The snails... sadly I think are large enough that they don't really want algae anymore and have been munching my plants a bit. So they will also head for my friends tank pretty soon. They were fun but they are not for my tanks.

I have an acorus that dangles. My guppies love it.

Well. I don't really see how an acorus can dangle being that it's a grass like stem plant. Maybe you have it tied to a rock and planted sideways or upside down? Would love to see a picture of it. Thanks for the info.

It has a little loop. Unfortunately, it's getting too big and the next size up is 2" larger.

Not sure why that's so hard to believe.

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

Attachments

• 1476112902902.jpg
    1476112902902.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 38
Ah...! See I was thinking about the aquatic version of the plant. Lol I didn't realize you were making a reference to my peace Lilly with its roots dangling. Lol oh man... that looks great!

Make sure you have CAE and not Otos. They are easy to tell apart once you see pics side by side.

I said Lillies, I meant Lotus (?). Wasn't sure what plant I was seeing with tall thin stems and floating leaves. Ah I see, you said it's a Banana plant...haven't had those yet.

Research your fish before you buy. Never believe the salesperson until you know how knowledgeable and honest they actually are.

So sorry if you felt belittled or talked down to.
Not my intention.

I'm posting via my phone. Didn't even notice you were posting in the hardware section. Mia Culpa for wandering off topic. Just hate to see new folks sold wrong fish.

Here is an old pic of my favorite Betta
View attachment 289874

I love the pastel colors on your beta. Here are mine. Killer is in the 3 gallon temporarily until I can move him to the 10 and Fred is in the 10 atm until I get a 20g tank. Fred is the more purple blue and red one. He's a very laid back kind of guy while killer is the Ice blue fins. Killer is going to have to deal with just the snail soon he has started picking on my poor cory.

Attachments

• 1476153158200.jpg
    1476153158200.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 1476153168973.jpg
    1476153168973.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 57
Coursair, I appreciate your advice I really do. I googled and researched both the otocinculous and the CAE. I know for sure the CAE is what I have in there. [emoji53] so since it's a fairly new set up and I do plan to do a serious 20g tank in the future with all the bells and whistles, I will keep them for the time being. I have been making many rookie mistakes with this 10g. But as I said this is a learning tank. They did actually clean up the algae and diatoms I had on my java fern (failed to qt new plants) as I said earlier I have a friend that has a 30g tank. She keeps a ciclid in. She will probably end up with them when I do go to the 20g tank. The beta will remain in the 10g. Once I get it perfect, he will know paradise. However he does rule the tank, and the tetras don't bother him. He is why I opted for the bamboo shrimp. A harmless happy critter that will not harm his fins. Although he hasn't suffered at all any damage from anything in the tank yet. The tetras I like and will probably move them to the 20g when I do it up, i will also add a few others tetras of the same type to the new tank. For now they just kinda hang out with each other and don't do much.

Bamboo Shrimp ( aka Flower Shrimp) typically need 20g or larger.
For now make sure he has plants or a rock to sit on up near filter outflow. If you ever see him picking along the bottom he is starving and needs help ASAP.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=1075+1842&pcatid=1842

They are cool critters.

My Bettas have varied in tolerance for tank mates. One was fine with White Clouds, but would kill Corydoras.

One lived with a female Guppy, but slaughtered Red Cherry Shrimp.

One lived in a 30g community set up. He had to have 2g tank timeouts when he'd overeat.

Current Betta is in a 5.5g with a single Nerite and other Snails in my housemate's room. He has a small built in filter and live plants.

I'll keep a close watch on him (flower shrimp) I do like him alot. He did the lilting thing about 4 days ago. I left his little shell in the tank and it's gone completely. The snails and ghost shrimp and I think the CAE got it all cleaned up. I read somewhere that snails will devour the shells as a calcium source. Makes sense. He sits on a sponge filter above the filter it catches stuff that the filter in the bottom didn't suck in. So he's a happy camper. Once in a while he sneaks down to the sword plant close by or he will hide under the leaves of the anubias. Fans popping in and out every couple seconds. He is the single most interesting creature I've found since I got started with my tanks. I call him spidey because he can cling to almost anything. I've seen him on the airtube just chillin in the bubbles

I honestly believe that the bigger the tank a beta is in, as long as it's tankmates don't nip, the more mellow they get. When I first got Fred he was in the three gallon and he would attack his own shadow. Now since he's used to living with plants, and in a bigger tank he isn't so aggressive. I think it's actually the size of the tank that makes them that way. It's a space issue for them. Love they just have social anxiety or something and they don't like close swimmers.

Cool like. I feed flakes and pellets and I drop algae disks. I might actually be over feeding a little bit but nothing goes to waste in this tank. So far the two tiny ghost shrimps are still happy. I had lost one of them right after I got them. But it's ok. The tank is probably a bit over stocked.

Back
Top Bottom