125 Gallon, need some plumbing suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daimyo68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

Been lurking the forums here for some time, reading, reading and more reading. Over the last couple of weeks I have been putting all the ideas together; the stand and hood is in the workshop (Planing the wood and building, I'll post pics of the progress as it goes) and I'm at the plumbing design, water circulation step in my progress.

The images I will provide are just for "on-paper" reference purposes. I will be using fittings, etc. that will lessen any restrictions in the system. Also, sizes are extremely exagerated.

Some basic information:
125 Gallon Oceanic with 2 corner overflows, 4 pre-drilled holes (2 are 1 3/4" and 2 are 1 1/2")
The Sump i will be using Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

I've attached a couple of design pics with the plumbing at the bottom of this post.

Questions:
1 - With the size of the pre-drilled holes (an image has been linked), what would be the best choice for the drain and return pipe sizes? 1 1/2" drain and 1" return? (I'm thinking this is correct, but then thats why I'm asking :) )

2 - How many GPH should I shoot for with the return pump? I will be including Gate Valves in a few locations, this will help with the drain flow per hour as well as ease maintenance should it arise that i need to pull the sump from under the tank.

3 - Powerheads?? I'm most likely going to include a wave maker in the system to control powerheads, but location, location, location...

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to some criticism:D

Attached pics:
The Corner Overflow (Right side pictured)
dsc00666gif1225947203.gif

The Drain Holes
overflowboxes1225948880.gif

The Plumbing
tankplumbing1225948940.gif

If you use standard bulkheads, you can fit a 1/2" or *maybe* a 3/4" return line in the 1 1/2" hole. You can fit a 1" standpipe to the 1 3/4" hole.

This is my bulkhead to hole size table:
Standard Threaded Bulkhead Fittings

I am not sure if they make thinner bulkheads so you can fit larger pipes into those holes. I know there are DIY versions that will fit, but hesitate to recommend them.

You can fit a 3/4" bulkhead in a 1 1/2" hole. Use that for your return. A 1" bulkhead will fit in the 1 3/4" hole. Use that for your overflows. Keep in mind, a 1" line will drain about 600 gph. Match your return pump with what your overflows can handle.

Back
Top Bottom