150 watt aquatic gardens submersible heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I woke up this morning to find my 46 gal pentagon tank at 90 deg. I unplugged the heater right away. The box says it is good for tanks up to 45 gal. The setting on the heater says it is on low. What should I do? Should I get a different brand or different wattage? Please give me some advice. Heater is 2 months old. Should I send it back to the company? Thanks!
Jim

If the heater has been in the tank for two months I can suspect that the normal temperature for this heater setting is not 90F. Its quite possible the thermistat on the heater stuck in the on position causing the heater to overheat the water. I would contact the place you got the heater from and try to work out an exchange. 150W for a 46 gal tank should be fine as long as it does not stick on.

If I were to put the heater in the return compartment of my sump (a titanium one), would I need wattage based on the tank size, the sump size, the compartment size, what? I want it to be adequate, actually more than adequate, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on overkill if I don't need it. Tank is 120 gal, btw. thanks!

you would want the heater to be sized correctly for total gallons. so with 120 gal tank plus sump of unknown size, id say a 250 or 300 watt heater would do.

I am going to buy the WonPro titanium heater. Everywhere I look it is saying to get 5w per gallon. That would mean I need 230 watts. I think 150 watts is enough for a 46 gal tank. Do you think I am right?

I purchased the heater today. It much nicer than the old heater. It works great. I like how I can adjust the heater without having to put my hand into the aquarium. Thanks for the advice!

i also saw 5w/gal and thats insane. i think 3w/gal is more appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom