180g In Wall Construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 2X4 legs appear to be doubled up. About the only thing I might do different is add a middle leg.

GrndHog : Seriously, I like to have the middle support. But I wanted to have a big sump underneath it as well. Now I have 2nd thought on the reinforcement. I am thinking maybe add a pillar a foot from both end so that I don't compromise the middle opening too much. I am thinking about a custom sump about 54"x16x15. Without the middle opening, I don't know how to get the sump in underneath.

Any carpentry expert out there to give any ideas to workaround this potential issue. I definitely don't want to have the 180g on my basement in the middle of the night.

How about running a support brace from the center of the stand to your ceiling supports? That will give you extra support and still leave the room underneath you need to get your sump under there. It may become pain over time when you are working in your tank, having to work around it though.

If you want some extra support without another back leg, just nail a couple of 2x4's underneath the top of the stand. Orient them so that the 1-1/2" side is in contact with the bottom surface. Think of how an I-beam is constructed. This will increase the moment of inertia for the assembly and therefore reduce bending.

Hope that helps

Jim

Jedihunter: Does all houses in Mexico built with cement? My folks house is like that, all cement. It is solid like a rock.

revhtree/stresco : Thanks. It is always my dream to have an In wall tank. Hope that it will turn out well. So guys, get started.......Go and buy a 300g tank and everything will falls into place. :lol: But the hard part is getting pass your wife. :wink:

tmcpeek : Please share your setup. we can learn from each other.

yaksplat : Isn't it better to take the top 2x4 out (except the side framing) and re-orient it so that the 2" side is facing top and bottom and nail it down that way. I have been thinking of doing that to increase the inertia. You think it will work?

The New Built In Tank = Pleasure, fun, joy :D

The Wife (Tonya) = Pleasure, fun, joy :D

The New Built In Tank + The Wife (Tonya) = Pain, Misery, Discomort of the ears. 8O

This is not an equation of algebra. It is simply an equation of MARRIAGE! :evil:

I have a degree in it! :wink: (actually I have a PHD)

revhtree said:
The New Built In Tank = Pleasure, fun, joy :D

The Wife (Tonya) = Pleasure, fun, joy :D

The New Built In Tank + The Wife (Tonya) = Pain, Misery, Discomort of the ears. 8O

This is not an equation of algebra. It is simply an equation of MARRIAGE! :evil:

I have a degree in it! :wink: (actually I have a PHD)

As Jim Rome would say "Classic"

Boxster said:
Isn't it better to take the top 2x4 out (except the side framing) and re-orient it so that the 2" side is facing top and bottom and nail it down that way. I have been thinking of doing that to increase the inertia. You think it will work?

That would be one way of doing it. It will be overkill, but that would work. You'll most likely have to use a couple of bolts to attach the top surface to the leg construction. Unless you want to use some 6" nails. If you really want to test it without water, invite 9 of your friends over and you can all squish onto the top.

the moment of inertia for a rectangular cross section is calculated by :

Ixx=(base x height^3)/12

Run a few calculations. The higher the result, the better.

Jim

Yaksplat: Is there a equation that translate the Inertia to how much weight it will withstand?

GrndHog: Not much over the weekend. My wife wanted me to setup the swingset for my 3 yrs old boy and also stain the deck. So, was planning to do that but then its rains and so everything is screw up. However, I do received the base rock I ordered from premiumaquatics. It is called the "Carribean Reef Bones". I am also thinking of all the different ways to reinforce the tank stand and may tried it today.

Also, from the start, I am thinking of the implementation of the closed loop. I do not want to drilled my tank, so I am thinking of going over the top. Anyone has a good way of doing closed loop?

Hey Boxter, I've been outta the loop for a few days. Expect an e-mail tonight or tomorrow on sump information. I think we may be able to solve your "closed loop" concerns with the sump return. Possibly a second pump on a return manifold with or without a SCWD. This of course depends on heat and return capacity issues unforseen.

R-

The best way is to look at all of the possible points of failure:

1. buckling of the legs in three ways:
a. crushing
b. bending in the x direction
c. bending in the y direct ion
2. Bending of the cross beam to the poin of breaking

From experience you can rule out number one after seeing your construction method. Therefor number two is the key factor. (If this were a critical calculation, all posibilities would be calculated to rule them out)

http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_bending/calculators_protected/beam_deflection_1.htm

You can use this calculator to determine the deflection. But remember, if you are calculating the deflection on a 2x4 you can only count the weight that is on that specific 2x4. In order to do this, calculate the contact area between your tank and the stand. From this calculate the pressure exerted on the stand xxx lbs per square inch.

From this then use the worst case scenario, which is an unsupported 2x4 with the 4" side against the tank. Thus the contact area is 3.5" x the tank length.

Use these values in the calculator:
E=1700000
I=.984
W=tank weight/7 (# of 2x4's) (i'll use 1540# for the whole thing)
X=length of tank/2 (the worst bending will be in the middle)
l= length of the tank
z=.75 (half of the thickness of a 2x4)

based on this, the beam will bend 5/8" at the middle.....too much

you want no bending. So we try 2x4's on the short side

I = 5.35
w=96
z=1.75

And then you maximum deflection is .05" Very acceptable...

This is also using the modulus of elasticity for a lower grade of lumber than what you'll find. Also, this model assumes that you only have the tank supported at the four corners.

I increased the load to 5000#, and the maximum bending only increased to .15". Still acceptable.

Let me know if you want more info.

Jim

Thats the stuff Yak (y)

Now, here's my question. Where does one find the E of other materials? Such as different types of wood etc.

yaksplat: Nice work....Where is the emoticons with the big thumb up? Couldn't find it to attach here. But kudos to you.

As I said earlier that I received the base rocks over the weekend. I just ordered 40ibls box to just see how these so called "Reef bones" look like. So I am attaching the pics here. I am not too impressed by the shape. Had done a few mobs-aquacaping using these base rock. So far, not getting the way I want it. Looking around for more LR. Budget is tight :(

Hey Boxter, tey looking at hirocks. (www.hirocks.com) Their rock isa lot more "holey" so to speak. The reefbones to me seem dense, pourus yet dense non-the-less. Kindof like a hard sponge if that makes sense.

I hear you on the budget crunch. :?

R-

Back
Top Bottom