180g In Wall Construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alex: I do have some fallen down that I have to upright them and they will be doing fine. But, I found empty shells and also some already died (you can smell it). I do see my cleaner shrimp nibbling one of the snail though. But I cannot confirm whether the snail died first and thus the shrimp feast it or the other way round.

Finally got to take some pics and update my tank. As you can see the Corraline is growing rapidly.

Attachments

• skimmate0001_640x480.jpg
    skimmate0001_640x480.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 388
  • starboard_with_corraline_640x480.jpg
    starboard_with_corraline_640x480.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 128
  • tank_071505_640x480.jpg
    tank_071505_640x480.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 151
Wow, interesting. What kind of bottom mat is that?

There doesn't seem to be much algae growth on the back wall -- give the back time to fully cover with algae and/or add more rock for algae supply.

Nature tends to balance itself out -- not enough algae or too many snails as there isn't anything from what it seems that would consume them or cause them to perish (unless you have skewed water specs which would give other signs).

I'm also one missing a large mexican turbo - but my dirty hermit ripped his shell off so mine isn't suspect of anything. :x Need to get the monster some alternate shells....

Schoeplein - The water parameters is fine. That is the first thing I do when I see snails dieing. Diatoms had been growing very slowly in my tank. That is what I setup my tank to do. :) I am suspecting the cleaner shrimp is part of it. I saw it dragging my YT to the rock and nibble on it right before the YT died in my old tank!!

Yes, the bottom mat is the black starboard.

From the pic above it seems you astrea snails. They have a very hard time turning themselves back over. If you don't get to it in time, it dies. Either of natural causes or shrimp/crabs kill it. (Maybe even fish, though Ive never seen fish gobble a snail) Turbos are more likely to right themselves as well as cerith and nassarius. Margarita and others seem to not be able to right themselves unless they land facing glass or rock. As for you snail losses, I too have had very little luck in getting snails to live for more than a couple months in my 75G. I used to think it was the levels of PO4 or Si. Possibly sensitive to even the smallest temp swings. The longest living snail I had was an astrea, they seem to be the hardiest, but you have to baby sit them. Turbos are not very atuned to temp changes. In my 29G a simple water change would throw some of them into a state of shock. As of right now, I have no snails and 1 crab in both tanks. Im sure some of my hair algea would be a little less, but the pollution from 1 large turbo croaking is no longer worth the risk in my opinion. Some folks on the other hand have great success with snails. Still a bit of a mystery to me.
GL!

PC; Yes, most of the snail is Turbo snail and I keep a ratio of roughly 1:3. I have about 90 Turbo and 30 cerith snail.

Lost another 3 last week. It just intresting to me that the snails I lost are all turbo/Astrea snail. all my cerith snail are doing fine

I am battling with Ph iisue in my tank right now. I recall 2-3 weeks ago, my Ph read 8.2. But doing the same measurement over the weekend show 7.3 8O . I had been adding Kalk right now to raise it slowly. Now, it is at 7.5. My Alkalinity is ok at 3. So, I am suspecting that my CO2 is excess since in my house, we close the window and let the AC runs.

Anyone has any thoughts on this??

Ceriths can right themselves I believe. Ceriths and nassarius are my favorite snails. They can right themselves and don't get real big and knock over stuff.

Try opening a window for a day and see what happens with the PH.

Ellisz: I did take a sample of the water and bring it outdoor to check it. Surprisely, I found the pH remain the same. Check my alk again and it is sitting at 3.5. At this time, I am slowly adding Kalk to increase it, and my ph is around 7.7 as of last night
I began to love Cerith snail too. I see them being the Hardiest I experience so far.

Have the Ph back to 8.0 during light on and 7.5 during light off. Will continue to add Kalk to improve it.

I have no death snail for the past 3 days. Another improvement. :wink:

I also place a fan to blow at my sump and was able to lower the temp from 82F to 80F. Another issue fix :) . Used to be that it will be sitting at 82F and climb up to 84F :x end of the light period. Right now, it is sitting at 80F regardless.

A pic on my YT. This is the new YT I had for the past 3months. My 1st YT died after I ahve it for 1.5year or so.

Added Acropora SPS frag from another reefer. Didn't have change to take a pic.

Attachments

• yt2_080605_rc.jpg
    yt2_080605_rc.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 296
Matt: Thanks

TeemR; Thanks

I am slowly stocking up my tank at this moment. Stop by a LFS yesterday and could not resist and brought a Ultra Crocea clam. Nice color.
I know, I know, this thread need more pics, I will try to get a pic of my new clam tonight.

Sorry to hop in here if nobody is really posting here anymore. Boxter I am from Chicago also and I find it terrible when you encounter a bad contractor. As an Architect I encourage all people doing buisness with a contractor to have a contract with them. With penalties for falling behind the project "deadline" date that you agree on in the begining. For instance, 100 dollars a day. That document will hold up in court, or with the Attorney Generals office, and believe me, contractors know it. You may be able to purchase "owner contractor agreement" forms from the American Institute of Architects, or the contractor actually has some. Stick it to him, as for your situation, just say your prayer its over, and PS the tank looks excellent, Im jealous

jcarlilesiu: I check back a few times and did not see any other people posting this, so I thought maybe people are not interested in this thread anymore. Anyway, thanks for posting. Yes, I am sad to realize that many people has gone through the same experience as I do with contractors. I do have a contract with this guy, unfortunately, the flaw of this is that are you willing to pay for the legal fee to go throught the hassle with these contractors. In the end you might be paying more. Thus, a lot fo bad contractor is taking advantage of this point and start their abuse.
There got to be some regulatory in the industry to protect the consumer.

An update to my tank. My encap for my T5 melted after I turned on my middle Metal Halide. See pics. Looking at it, I see that it is a bad design from Coralvue such that it places the Endcap right by the middle Metal Halide. At this point, I am thinking of changing out my hood for Pendant instead. I don't see any possible good solution to this without tearing out the whole hood.

My YT has not been eating for the past 2 weeks and is still surviving. It was eating Nori like crazy and all of the sudden stop eating. No external sign of stress or Ich. I tried Brine Shrimp, Mysis, Spectrun pellets, Formula pellets and no luck. It look very thin now and I believe his days are numbers.

My Green Slimer SPS, Monti Cap and my Crocea Clam are all doing fine.

Attachments

• cap_melt0007_rc.jpg
    cap_melt0007_rc.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 52
check with your local "home builders association" or the home builders association, many of those have methods to file grievances against the contractor. With the home builders assosciation, you may be able to even put up a red flag on him, which ulitimatly could hurt his buisness.

secondly, because the amount of money that you would be suing him for for breech of contract is your 'out of pocket' expenses since you financially finished the project yourself. Many lawyers will take the case and only charge you a percentage of what the judgement is. Especially if you have a "breech of contract" clause in your contract. Don't forget to add in some "pain and suffering" for the hassel the contractor put you through. I would at least look into it, and keep in mind, the attorney generals office is state funded and shouldn't cost you a penalty. In my experience, one letter from them to the contractor and he will probably try and at least settle with you.

I can't believe that light started to melt. Who was the manufacturer again? Ill be sure not to buy their product, doesn't it have some sort of warranty? Just some things to think about.

its a coralvue light, not all of their products are like that...

as he mentioned probably just a flaw in that setup...

Back
Top Bottom