2 canisters on one tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elbeasto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A question for those who are running two canisters on one tank.

Is the general practise to use two intakes and two returns or to use a T-piece and have the one intake feeding two canisters?

I'm thinking of adding another filter to my tank and imagining the possible setup scenarios.

Thanks

I just have two canister filters and they are completly separate, one on each end of the tank. I like this because I can alternate cleaning them and not have to worry to much about losing my good bacteria because I still have the other one running, it is also nice because this way I have a back up.

I use both intakes and outlets. I put them at opposite ends of the tank. Cleaning one at a time (monthly-ish) is easy that way.

so I'm guessing that you guys have an intake at both corners of the tank? Where do you put the spray bars?

Yes. Intakes at each back corner. Spray bars on opposite sides (120G tank). On a smaller tank, I'd run one spray bar and one jet.

Yes. Intakes at each back corner. Spray bars on opposite sides (120G tank). On a smaller tank, I'd run one spray bar and one jet.

That's the way I do it too.
I use nozzels instead of spraybars though.
Draw from one end and inject that filter in the other end.
That way the water travels the length of the tank gefore it hits a filter.
Two canisters in a large tank is the right way to go, I think.

Ok guys thanks for the replies :)

I'm running an eheim classic 2215 at the moment and to be honest it just does the job. I'm thinking something along the lines of a pro II, something rated for 600ltrs. The 2215 is rated for up to 350ltrs and yeah as I said...

Just a thought (possibly irrelevant), Maybe you can pack the old one with just biological media or something?

It's got noodles, a mechanical/course sponge, eheim substrate and a fine wool pad in there.

My main concern really is the surface of the water. It's covered in a lot of tiny particles that just float and never get filtered. I'll get an eheim surface extractor and run it off the 2215 as well...

really depends on what your doing as far as the filter. i would never run 2 together as 2 inputs and 1 output.

Back
Top Bottom